Fish Compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

Ok Right now I have a small 1-1.5" Humu Trigger and a 2" velvet damsel in a 29g.. Yes the tank is small but so are they.. I have plans on moving the trigger with age.. The damsel well who knows how much longer before he becomes food.. LOL Anyways what I was wondering is I have been thinking about getting a small 1-1/2" to 3" Volitan Lionfish.. Does anyone have any experience with keeping both Lions and Triggers together.. With the less agressive Humu Trigger I would think its ok to have them both in the tank... Hell the trigger hasnt even ever bothered the damsel (YET) LOL.. There is also 70lbs of LR in this tank as well so Filtration should nt be an issue at all..

TIA<
James

I know nothing about volitans but I do have a dwarf zebra (probably my favorite fish). Though they are dubbed non-reef compatable, I tend to stray from conforming rules anyway. I have never had an ounch of trouble out of him though my pod and mysid population has dimished I still love him. He is very non-agressive though I feared my tang would give him hell as most tangs do to new arrivals, all of my fish act as though he is non-existant. I would think that most fish instinctly recognize the lion for a LION and leave it alone. I wouldn't be affraid to give it a try anyway. But yeah it won't be long at all before you should be looking into bigger quarters for them. My onlt two fears would be that some lions will only take live food and in the event the trigger did get agressive you may lose both fish 8O

R-

The Humu and the Volitan would be alright together, but in a 55 gal. If you want a Lionfish in your 29 gal you could go with a Spotfin, but the Humu still needs a 55.

also the humu trigger wont kill the damsel imo !! one the damsel grows way way faster than the trigger !! have both these fish myself and they were together for awhile along with a panther grouper !! well the damsel started to look beat up and my first thought was the trigger untill one night i seen the grouper snap and try to swallow the damsel !! well he couldnt get him down so spit him out which then i caught him and put in qt and the fish is doing great now !! that damsel is cool looking young but was close to being full grown in a years time which pasted the trigger right up why i put then all together :)

The Humu and the Volitan would be alright together, but in a 55 gal. If you want a Lionfish in your 29 gal you could go with a Spotfin, but the Humu still needs a 55
As I stated before These fish are going to be moved with Size... I will be going with a Volitan.. I will not be going with any other Lion... I am researching this because I dont want either to become food... Its my wifes tank and I dont Her on my case either... I pointed out that the Lion is going to be rather small and the trigger is already small... I know what I am doing here.. I am not a Newbie...

Any other opinions on keeping the 2 fish together.. Volitan and a Humu.. If not I guess I will be picking one up in a few weeks or so..

James

IMO they will be ok together as long as they are both small or close to the same size(like you already stated they will be)

Whoa! No need to get defensive there James. I wasn't trying to hurt anybodys feelings :cry: or discourage your plans. You asked for opinions and that was all I gave. :oops: Good luck with your Volitan.

Back
Top Bottom