Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fish compatibility

I am planning on getting a flame angelfish and a valentini pufferfish in the same tank. Are they compatible and reef safe?

Old 02-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depends on the size of the tank! They are both semi aggressive fish so given enough room it might work. I have a similar puffer and he is certainly the boss. Not sure if there is anyone else who has this combo out the can shed some more light?

Old 02-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
Depends on the size of the tank! They are both semi aggressive fish so given enough room it might work. I have a similar puffer and he is certainly the boss. Not sure if there is anyone else who has this combo out the can shed some more light?
I have a 30 gallon now with one firefish but around October I'm upgrading to a 80 or 90 gallon
Old 02-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Puffers aren't reef safe because of their love of inverts specifically clean up crews
Old 02-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Those two fish should get along fine if they are in a large enough tank.

I wouldn't consider either reef safe. Angels are known to pick at corals, I don't believe they are any threat to the CUC though. It will just depend on the individual fish, same for the puffer. Most puffers will pick at/eat the CUC, though the valentini seems to be less likely, since it is in their diet. I've done a good bit of research on puffers as thats why I set up my marine tank, I'm going with a different toby puffer though. The puffer may also pick at corals, again it'll just depend on the individual fish.

I'm putting my puffer in my tank that has few corals and I also have a little bit of a CUC. If the CUC gets eaten I'm not worried and will just replace every now and then, but I will be upset if the corals begin to get picked at. I have a plan to move the corals into a separate tank if that becomes a problem at any time though.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_marie View Post
Those two fish should get along fine if they are in a large enough tank.

I wouldn't consider either reef safe. Angels are known to pick at corals, I don't believe they are any threat to the CUC though. It will just depend on the individual fish, same for the puffer. Most puffers will pick at/eat the CUC, though the valentini seems to be less likely, since it is in their diet. I've done a good bit of research on puffers as thats why I set up my marine tank, I'm going with a different toby puffer though. The puffer may also pick at corals, again it'll just depend on the individual fish.

I'm putting my puffer in my tank that has few corals and I also have a little bit of a CUC. If the CUC gets eaten I'm not worried and will just replace every now and then, but I will be upset if the corals begin to get picked at. I have a plan to move the corals into a separate tank if that becomes a problem at any time though.
What are cuc corals? I already have a red mushroom coral and a tongue coral
Old 02-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cuc = clean up crew snails hermits and so on

Tags
compatibility, fish compatibility

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com