Fish,Corals, and Clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogspawn

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey guys. its been awhile since i posted last. i been letting the tank mature and not adding anything. well today i bought 3 new things off line
O.Clown
Derasa Clam
Acropora Coral, Purple
i wanted the clown and clam but the girlfriend had to have the acropora.
so i guess my question is. are all these guys easy to get along with.
and what are some things i should watch out for?
any hints or helpful suggestion would be so appreciated

O by the way i cant seem to get my toad stool leather to stop growing. OMG its getting so big its takeing up so much space. i had to place it in the far cornor and dig a hole in the sand to stick the base of the staulk in so i could get some more space for the clam. my water is impeckable. PH is still a tad on the low side 8.0-8.2 right at lights out. not shure whats its in the moring. i am going to get a auto PH meter next month and see what it comes up with.
thanks for your time
Michael

If you still run a 150 metal halide your in great shape , I would just try to get the ph up in the 8.3-8.5 range , but if it is stable where it is , stable is better than right that you are constantly adjusting .

so far from what i can tell my PH dont move but a little bit. the the lowest i seen it was 8.0. and yes i stll hav my MH and there on a 10hr timer. i do PWC every week 4g change on a 30g tank.
thanks for your time
michael

is it ok to use reg. store bought super glue to fasten corals to rocks? or would it even work? i am going to be reciveing my Acropora soon and i need a way to fasten it to the LR. it needs strong water movement so i need to place it right in frount of the PH. and i know it will blow off if i dont fasten some how

I use super glue gel . Just take the rock you are using and blot the attaching point off and put a dab of glue on it the hold the frag for about a minute . works for zoos .

I agree with the super glue gel. Make sure it is gel. It sounds like it might be fragging time on the toadstool. Frag it and keep a piece for yourself and sell the rest to your LFS. Sounds like your tank is doing great.

so i need to place it right in frount of the PH.
No! Don't place it in direct flow. That will cause the tissue to die/blow off. It should have strong, turbulant, indirect flow.
to use reg. store bought super glue to fasten corals to rocks?
Only if it is cyanoacrylate based.
FWIW Derasa clams get pretty big and grow fast when cared for properly. A 30 will get tight for it w/ some time. Congrats on the new additions.
There sure are enough Mike's around here heh.

wow i did not know they grew so fast. well i hope to up grade my tank or atlest start a new one soon. maybe at my dads house. i will transplant them all there if and when he sets one up. i think he still scared to commit to the SW thing. i think these guys i just got are going to my final additions to my tank for a wile. maybe another sps but thats aways down the road. i might frag my toadstool. but i am scared to try it. lol i should start a different thread for that subject so i wont get to much into that here..
thanks for all the great advise. will do on not placing my sps in direct flow.
and i will get looking on that type of glue.. i hope i might be able to buy it from foodlion i hope.
thanks
michael

I would place the Acro mid-upper in your tank. It will like the lighting but will need to be a bit higher because of the depth of your tank. I have a lot of acro in my tank and most all of them are in the upper 2/3s of my tank even though I have enought lighting to put them lower.

Your Clam is going to need to be fed phyto or marine snow...something for filter feeders. I feed DTs to mine and they are doing very well....

Your Clam is going to need to be fed phyto or marine snow...something for filter feeders. I feed DTs to mine and they are doing very well....

i am not familiar with marine snow or DT's can i get a little bit more info on them and how do i feed a clam?

It really depends on the size of the clam on whether or not you need to feed them. Usually 3+" and they are fine but it never hurts to supplement. DT's is great stuff. It looks like green water :)

I would also find a flat rock or something to place under the clam. It will attach its foot and it you ever want to move it, it helps to have the rock be movable vs. picking up the clam.

Good luck with the acro. Once you go acro, you never go back ;)

wow a flat rock.. hmm i might not have enough time to get to my local fishstore to look for one befor they get here .. but if i get a few mins between classes i might run up there.

now that u say dt's look like green water i did pick up some filter feeder food when i bought my torch coral and plusing xzina. so if thats what u are talking about. i might have some.. :)

and i do hope i like this acro.. i was worried about my tank being mature enough to handle the little guy but i think i got a very good shot at it.. my water perfect and no problems so far (knock on wood) but i will post picks when i get the new guys in the tank
thanks
michael

MT79 said:
It should have strong, turbulant, indirect flow.

I agree as I have my PH pointed at the side glass and have it bounce off the glass and hitting the toadstool indirectly.

I have all of my acros in direct flow from my Nano Stream it isn't a jet of water but rather a gentle flow of 660gph....they are growing very well!!

so many choices. :) i have a wavemaker and this might give me a chance to use my other maxi-jet 600. as of right now i have 3 PH's in the tank.

any one know how u should point PH's? i just have them pointed at the front cornors.

You can point them towards the front, center of the aquarium. You could also aim them at each other across the tank to create turbulence. It really depends on how things are arranged in the tank. It takes some fooling around w/ to get it how you like. A good way to picture the flow is the polyps of the SPS should look as if they are swaying in a gentle breeze.
DT's, or other LIVE phyto such as phyto-feast, will give the best results if you decide to feed phyto. As mentioned it depends on the size of the clam, as to whether it is absolutely necessary or not. Other non-refrigerated, dead planktons IMO/IME tend to pollute more than they help.

Back
Top Bottom