Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2014, 07:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fish disappearing

In the past week I have had my scooter blenny disappear and then within 2days of buying 2 bangai cardinals, 1 is missing. I also had a scissortail dart fish disappear shortly after buying a pair. Tonight I saw my coral banded shrimp upside down on a rock and he went after my dotty back which was in between rocks close by. I have a pair of the shrimp and haven't had fish disappear prior to purchasing them. Are they attacking my fish of a night? I am constantly told they are scavengers but am concerned they are killing my fish when they are sleeping. I have researched them too and they are supposed to be peaceful but this one had his claws out and was chasing the dotty back. I can't find signs of my blenny or cardinal anywhere.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you feed your shrimp? When my shrimp wasn't fed it ate one of my hermit crabs. So maybe they where so hungry they had a couple of fish? I would check your filter/ skimmer in case the fish where sucked into. Otherwise I don't have a clue.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks. I couldn't imagine they would get sucked through the filter as it only has narrow slits. The shrimp eat pellets and frozen foods along with the fish.Maybe that's not enough? I'll check the care details on them again for feeding. Cheers
Old 04-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok I googled 'fish disappearing' and have been reading about conus snails which are predatory. My tank came with about 3 or 4 cuc which I think may be these snails. They bury under the sand and come running as soon as food is available. I will have a closer look tomorrow and post a pic. Hopefully someone can ID them for me.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It's more likely that they went carpet surfing. There aren't a whole lot of predators that you could have that will eat shrimp. Although a mantis shrimp is a possibility.

The snails are very likely nassarius which behave the same way and are common additions to tanks.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
It's more likely that they went carpet surfing. There aren't a whole lot of predators that you could have that will eat shrimp. Although a mantis shrimp is a possibility.

The snails are very likely nassarius which behave the same way and are common additions to tanks.

Thanks for helping out with the ID- I just googled nassarius and that's what I have. There is a large snail I have which has a high cone on it's back with a spiral pattern. It normally stays on the walls. Is that one safe for my fish too?
Old 04-26-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's ok- I have found a website with reef snails- it's a trochus
Old 04-26-2014, 09:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

They're dead and prob got eaten by inverts
Old 04-27-2014, 07:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it's not your water quality killing the missing fish it could be something that only comes out at night and attack when fish are not active. Try to use a flashlight at night. You might find something unexpected crawling things. Large bristle worms might be one of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've always had coral banded shrimp, they get grabby at times, but never actually got a fish. Doubt that's the cause, just imo. You have any anemones by chance?

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
app, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com