Fish dying?? Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The pseudos tail does look like a little torn also. I have check the ph etc.. twice myself and brought it to two diff fish stores in the past 5 days. Everything has been normal. I think I listed what the levels were above last time I checked.
You may be right though, I believe my octopus bh 1000 skimmer will be in tomorrow. Hopefully this may help water quality also. And like I said before I am now getting the RODI water from the fish store. Thanks

This keeps getting worse. Just got home, the coral beauty is still alive, but both clowns were dead and being eaten by hermit crabs!! Now all left is the coral beauty and the pseudochromis. The pseudo seems ok but the coral is still sluggish and hanging near the bottom of tank.
So here is where I am at now....
I think we ruled out any powerhead issues.
The coral has nipped fins, but I dont think the pseudo is what killed the clowns?
Water quality is fine (at least for the things I could check for), I am about to check it again to see where its at now.
Protein skimmer is going up tonight (the other one I recently got leaked). I just bought Octopus bh 1000. Dont know if this would have made a difference though?
Could it be the diatoms in my tank causing the issue? I think I may have other types of algae as well..not sure
I should also note that I dont have any corals but I had a nice little button polyp on one of my live rocks that began dying about the same time as the fish as well as many snails...

So what do you think? Either my fish have disease? or some kind of toxin in the water? I dont know... I just know it is frustrating.

BTW. Do you guys think the primer coat on the inside of my canopy may be leaching toxins into the water???

There needs to be SOMETHING that is leaking inside the water. Some type of chemical has to have gotten in. Your water parameters are all fine, so that's the only thing that it could be.

Can you test for copper And is there a paint or any other odor from the primer Can you QT the fish in a diff tank new water filter ect.
I keep a journal and write down every thing that i do to or add to the tank It' a big aid when things like this happen as you can go back and look at what was added and when

I'll try to test for copper? What's that about?
I will also take off the hood an put a couple coats of polyurethane to seal it.
I can't QT him unfortunately, don't have the equip to do that right now.
Btw the protein skimmer is functioning well.

Also slitherbomb, I tend to get a lot if biofrreze and stuff like that on my hands at work. I always clean my hand but this may be a possibility.
Lastly, my fish seemed to start getting sick when I added a couple blue xenia to the tank, they didn't last but a few days, but didn't know if this could be poisonous to the fish.
These are the only possibilities I can think of.

All of my fish have died now except pseudochromis. He seems fine. How long should I wait until I start adding fish back?
Is there anything special I should do?

Just from reading this thread, it must be water quality. make sure your nitrate test is in date and check for nitrites and amonia. the bh-1000 is an awesome skimmer and will help you out alot. sorry for your loss but you just must learn from now on. Run a lot of carboon and let it sit.

Just thought I would update this thread even though it's been a while. I think I found the cause of all murphy fish dying. The canopy of the tank was made from mdf. It was crumbling into pieces and I think the fish may have been eating it, or it was just toxic to them.Since then I rebuilt the canopy out of wood and painted the inside with rustloeum topside boat paint. Have had no problems with fish since.

How long has the tank been running? You could have had a swing if its not completely cycled or relatively new.

Back
Top Bottom