Fish food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divedeep1689

Aquarium Advice Addict
Will a yellow tang eat prime reef flake food? I would like to offer it something better for its diet its been in my tank two days i am waiting for it to eat some flakes i give my tank like the rest of my fish but i have to wait to get any type of special food it likes till tommorow when i go into town i live a hour and half from town. Wat should i get? And how long can this tang go without food he is pecking at the rocks and back glass on my tank is he gettin alage to eat and will this sustain him till i get something he will eat?

Will a yellow tang eat prime reef flake food? I would like to offer it something better for its diet its been in my tank two days i am waiting for it to eat some flakes i give my tank like the rest of my fish but i have to wait to get any type of special food it likes till tommorow when i go into town i live a hour and half from town. Wat should i get? And how long can this tang go without food he is pecking at the rocks and back glass on my tank is he gettin alage to eat and will this sustain him till i get something he will eat?

You need to get him algae based food as soon as possible. Make sure to get some dried seaweed sheets and a clip to put it on. Also I would recommend getting it some good frozen food like Formula 2 by Ocean Nutrition. Flake food is something you can feed it every once in awhile, but it cannot be his main diet.

Short term you can feed him some lettuce. Lettuce however doesn't have nearly the nutritional content as the nori mad for fish.

Jason

ok thanks guys i am going to town today at 330 but i wont be back home till like 1 in the morning he is not eating my flake food at all but he is pecking at all my live rock in my tank. I will be going to petco to see if they carry that alage sheet from ocean nutriton you told me of ryshark i will see if i have any lettuce in fridge in a min i to lazy to roll out of bed lol i watching my tank from my bed cant get much better than that huh lol do you know which store would most likely have that alage sheet petco petsmart petland other than those i have 3 small local owend stores

I would try the Local Own Store they will normal have everything that your Looking for. Petco may have it. I also can suggest if you like try feeding Mysis Shrimp to they will eat that as well. Tangs can be picky eater sometimes but usually there are more Herbivorous than any thing. Also it's a good thing he is picking at your rock and glass that means he's polishing off all the algae thats has grown or is starting to grow... :)

thanks guys everyone i have talked to since purchasing my tang has been a good help :) he is doing well!! He is now swimming the length of my tank swimming in and out of the rock work chasing other fish mainly a blue damsel and his color is the best of any tangs i have seen in any petstore!! :) i think i have successfully got a tang into my collection :) that is until he out grows my 55 gal :(

If you can get it try Rod's Herbivore Blend it's great food and all my fish love it and it doesn't have the gel binder that the Formula foods have. Don't get me wrong I've seen many nice tanks that are fed Formula foods but I think the gel binders are phosphate bombs and I don't like using them.

Rod`s Food Herbivore Blend 6oz

Good Luck

Jason

I feed the tank everyother day the prime reef. On the off days I feed seaweed selects. I also add a big ball of calerpa about once a weekjust for the tangs.

Last edited:
I use the seaweed sheets from the local grocery store: sushi seaweed, normally sold in the seafood dept. I soak a folded up piece in Garlic Guard every other day and feed it on a clip. My tang goes wild, the others (particularly clowns) will peck at it. I also feed frozen mysis and "marine cuisine", and formula one and formula two (extra veggie) flakes. Oh, Rod's food too. :)
Variety is good!

I use the seaweed sheets from the local grocery store: sushi seaweed, normally sold in the seafood dept. I soak a folded up piece in Garlic Guard every other day and feed it on a clip. My tang goes wild, the others (particularly clowns) will peck at it. I also feed frozen mysis and "marine cuisine", and formula one and formula two (extra veggie) flakes. Oh, Rod's food too. :)
Variety is good!

Diversity is best when it comes to feeding fish;)

Back
Top Bottom