Fish Food Alternatives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cybercron

Aquarium Advice Regular
I ran out of Mysis and Brine shrimp last night and did not make it to my LFS today to restock my supply. Can I feed my Clowns and Gobies diced cocktail shrimp? How long can fish survive without food?

Thanks,

Van

As long as the shrimp is raw it will be just fine. Be sure to put it in the blender to grind it up a bit. If the food size is too large it will cause problems for the fish. If you have it, also add some liquid vitamin to the mix.

Cheers
Steve

Why not make your own and never run out. There is an excellent blender mush recipe on this site that I have been using for a few months and have gotten rid of all my cyano problems. My version of it is just: raw shrimp from grocery, raw scallops, a little bit of octopus I got from grocery, some spinach leaves or romaine,(Sometimes I use green and brown algae sheets also or instead), Then I add marine zoe, phytoplex and zooplex(for the inverts), and a couple cloves of fresh garlic(for disease). The original recipe is called "blender mush" and can be found by doing a search of this site. I put it all in a blender with a little of the tank water till it's the consistency of oatmeal, then I pour it onto a plastic lid for a sheet pan and put it into the freezer. After it is frozen, I break it into pieces about 4 inches square and put them in ziploc freezer baggies. I make enough for about 8 baggies at a time and just break off enough for one feeding at a time and drop it in a cup of tank water to thaw for a couple of minutes then pour it all in. I has gotten rid of my cyano problems completely. Apparently the frozen foods at the lfs are chock full of phosphates. Hope this helps and sorry it's so longwinded.

This hobby continues to get more and more interesting. Up to this point (being still without inhabitants in my cycling tank), I had given no thought to food. I just figured some sort of marine flake/pellet, perhaps augmented with frozen worms/shrimp etc.

Now I can be the Molto Mario of my aquatic realm.

Luckily, being fortunate enough to be of southern Italian descent, I have a freezer full of frutti di mare, a.k.a. seafood.

Back
Top Bottom