Fish food? Feeding a reef aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elchakas

Aquarium Advice Activist
what is some good fish food to feed my fish in a reef? i has two ocellaris a fire fish and a Azure Damsel. i looking foward to get a six line wrasse. im currently feeding some spectrum thera +A pallets that have some garlic. thank you

I have had those fish and currently have a six line and 2 oscellaris among others but i feed them frozen food. Generally it is accepted better being more natural than flake or pellet and it is very nutritious.

I feed Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef frozen and Sanfransisco Bay Mysis and Brine.

I alternate the mysis and brine. But i mix a cube of prime reef with a cube of mysis or brine and feed them a little about 2-3 times a day and put the rest of the cup in the fridge for future feeds. Will last about 2 days and then i alternate brine for mysis or mysis for brine. They love it. Wrasse also loves the prime reef for the big chunks of squid you get in many of the cubes, he goes nuts when he gets one.

This combination cover i wide range of feeders and the planktonic mixture in the prime reef feeds filter feeding corals at the same time.

@seaweed. Like regular shrimp from the grocery store?. Or any special kind?

@schism- sounds like a good plan. I shal look into frozen food. I have brine shirmp eggs but never really used them.

Yeah shrimp too. You can make a blender mush. Basicly you throw bunch of seafood from the supermarket into a blender and blend to a semi- fine mush. Scallops, shrimp, clam meat, mussels, nori, crab, oysters, garlic, cod, squid. Pretty much anything that comes from the sea high in nutrition. You want fresh seafood tho, no canned stuff as it contains preservatives and generally higher phosphate.

Blend it and freeze it into flat sheets or cubes and thaw a piece before feeding. Extremely nutritious And much cheaper than buying frozen fish food. The amount you can make and the ability to pick and choose ingredients makes it well worth it.

I need to make some more soon.

I use fresh shrimp I mince up into small bites , also use frozen mysis shrimp , live mysis, live brine shrimp , blood worms , I even use fresh fish cod , talopia and clams but clams are nasty lol , what ever I can get thats not to expensive , sometimes I think fish eat better than me

Thats a good idea.. i think ima try the frozen seafood from the market and blend it myself... thank you guys..

Can i also add in sardine or some type of small fish?.. or just inveribrates?..

If adding fish i suggest fresh cod or talapia, ive never used sardines but they should be ok as long as they are fresh and not canned. Pretty much anything you can think of is ok. Fresh shrimp contain the least amount of phosphate to nutrition ratio so that could be something to consider if you have phosphate problems. I like to use shrimp as the base or main ingredient because of its low phosphate content and high nutrition.

Also you can use a cookie sheet, some wax paper and egg crate to make cubes easily. Just lay out wax paper on a cookie sheet and put the egg crate on top, pour your mixture into this mold and freeze. After freezing take out and lift up the egg crate giving it a few food whacks and all the cubes will fall out. Store them in freezer bags in the freezer. Really easy

Nice great idea thanks... and how often do you feed?.. and should u also continue feeding pelets or just the frizen food.

If you have a good enough mix then no need to feed anything else. I just got finished making a new batch. Shrimp, oysters, scallops, talapia, brine, plankton, and formula 2 flake food.

You can add flake and pellet food to the mix if you want.

Om sounds good thank you.. im about to go out and buy some fresh seafood to make some. Thanks alot

Back
Top Bottom