Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fish food? Feeding a reef aquarium

what is some good fish food to feed my fish in a reef? i has two ocellaris a fire fish and a Azure Damsel. i looking foward to get a six line wrasse. im currently feeding some spectrum thera +A pallets that have some garlic. thank you

Old 05-18-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

shrimp after all a lot are carnivores and like the meaty substance

Old 05-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have had those fish and currently have a six line and 2 oscellaris among others but i feed them frozen food. Generally it is accepted better being more natural than flake or pellet and it is very nutritious.

I feed Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef frozen and Sanfransisco Bay Mysis and Brine.

I alternate the mysis and brine. But i mix a cube of prime reef with a cube of mysis or brine and feed them a little about 2-3 times a day and put the rest of the cup in the fridge for future feeds. Will last about 2 days and then i alternate brine for mysis or mysis for brine. They love it. Wrasse also loves the prime reef for the big chunks of squid you get in many of the cubes, he goes nuts when he gets one.

This combination cover i wide range of feeders and the planktonic mixture in the prime reef feeds filter feeding corals at the same time.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

@seaweed. Like regular shrimp from the grocery store?. Or any special kind?

@schism- sounds like a good plan. I shal look into frozen food. I have brine shirmp eggs but never really used them.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:18 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah shrimp too. You can make a blender mush. Basicly you throw bunch of seafood from the supermarket into a blender and blend to a semi- fine mush. Scallops, shrimp, clam meat, mussels, nori, crab, oysters, garlic, cod, squid. Pretty much anything that comes from the sea high in nutrition. You want fresh seafood tho, no canned stuff as it contains preservatives and generally higher phosphate.

Blend it and freeze it into flat sheets or cubes and thaw a piece before feeding. Extremely nutritious And much cheaper than buying frozen fish food. The amount you can make and the ability to pick and choose ingredients makes it well worth it.

I need to make some more soon.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I also support feeding frozen. I have brine, mysis, and krill that i feed my fish and coral. All are eaten, but everything goes nuts over the mysis.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I use fresh shrimp I mince up into small bites , also use frozen mysis shrimp , live mysis, live brine shrimp , blood worms , I even use fresh fish cod , talopia and clams but clams are nasty lol , what ever I can get thats not to expensive , sometimes I think fish eat better than me
Old 05-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thats a good idea.. i think ima try the frozen seafood from the market and blend it myself... thank you guys..
Old 05-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Can i also add in sardine or some type of small fish?.. or just inveribrates?..
Old 05-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

If adding fish i suggest fresh cod or talapia, ive never used sardines but they should be ok as long as they are fresh and not canned. Pretty much anything you can think of is ok. Fresh shrimp contain the least amount of phosphate to nutrition ratio so that could be something to consider if you have phosphate problems. I like to use shrimp as the base or main ingredient because of its low phosphate content and high nutrition.

Also you can use a cookie sheet, some wax paper and egg crate to make cubes easily. Just lay out wax paper on a cookie sheet and put the egg crate on top, pour your mixture into this mold and freeze. After freezing take out and lift up the egg crate giving it a few food whacks and all the cubes will fall out. Store them in freezer bags in the freezer. Really easy

Tags
feeding, fish, fish food, food, reef, reef aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com