Fish food recepies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CEverii

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just trying to see what everyone prepares for their reef tanks, how they store it, and how they make it. Want to open up my world of fish food.

I dont make my own but I know several that do. They just add fish, shrimp, clams and other seafood along with some garlic and selcon and put it in a blender and then freeze it. You might get some hits on this site if you search blender mush.

Wow. Yep, just searched "Blender Mush" and saw a nice thread that had everyones different things they did to make their fish food. Thanks melosu

I used to make my own but now just buy Rod's Food at the lfs. It faster and cheaper than making my own and has everything you would want in it.

In case you haven't seen it:
Reef Lady Blender Mush
Ingredients:

Several different kinds of raw fish and shellfish. Some examples that I commonly use are: fresh shrimp, scallops, clams, oysters, smelt, squid, and cod or other white fish. (Note: I don't use canned seafood, as this can be quite high in phosphates). I try to use the most oysters, clams, mussels, etc., and the least of the fish.
Note - you can "mix and match" these ingredients as you wish - or depending on what is fresh at the store.
2 or 3 raw garlic cloves.

Liquid - you can use water, or clam juice (if you buy bottled, make sure there aren't any additives).

Vitamins - I use "Zoe" Marine by Kent. I find Selcon (and Zoecon) to contain too many fatty acids - it clouds and pollutes the water too much for my liking.

3-4 sheets of raw Nori, and a few pieces of rehydrated (with tank water) Dulse. Nori alone, or a few small pieces of organic Romaine or baby Spinach leaves can be substituted.
Dry ingredients ~ depends highly on what I have on hand, but usually includes some of the following:
Golden Pearls, several different sizes - 3-4Tablespoons
Sweetwater Zooplankton (daphnia) - 3-4 Tablespoons
OSI Spirulina Flake Food 3-4 Tablespoons
VibraGro Saltwater Staple food - 3-4 Tablespoons
Kent - Platinum Reef Herbivore pellets (small)
Azoo Artifical Rotifera
Azoo Artifical Artemia
Make sure all your ingredients are as fresh as possible. Rinse your raw seafood well.
Basically, everything goes in the food processor. I usually add a little bit of the raw seafoods first, and blend to a fine consistency, add a little more, blend again, etc. I do this three of four times so there are several different particle sizes. I then break up the Nori and add that last with dry ingredients, and the the vitamins and liquid (if needed). You should get the consistency of wet mud.
Yes, it smells *bad*. :)
After you have everything mixed, and at the right consistency, you'll need to freeze it - however you want. I use the large plastic zipper lock bags. Put a few spoonfuls in, and spread it out so you have a thin (1/4" layer). Then, seal the bag and put it on a cookie sheet, or some other flat surface to freeze. After it is frozen, you can cut or break it up into the size chunks you want to use, and keep those frozen in the ziploc bag.

Note: A lot of homemade fish food recipes call for adding gelatin for consistency. I don't like it, and find that the food doesn't break up as well when thawed. If you want to add gelatin, Email me , and I can forward you a recipe that contains it.

Another note - I make this food with the intention that it will feed the entire "tank" - fish, corals, and all other invertebrates. However, given that we have three Tangs, I also insure that they always have a clip with Nori, Dulse, and organic baby spinach leaves to graze on.
You can make as much as you want at a time - I suggest making small batches, that way you know the food is always fresh.

Back
Top Bottom