Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-09-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fish for the top of the water column?

Now that I am setup and everything is going smoothly, I have been adding fish slowly. My first fish were 4 Green Chromis because they were inexpensive and I was nervous that I hadn't let the cycle finish, blah blah blah.

Needless to say, they are doing well, as are the rest of my fish. I want as peaceful a tank as possible as reef-compatible as possible.

Now to the nitty gritty. I want to replace the Chromis. They are fine fish but I would like something more striking or interesting in the tank to look at and the having 4 Chromis is taking up a lot of the "fish inches" available in my tank. The great thing about the Chromis is that they constantly swim at the top of the water column which takes up a lot of dead space up there and gives it some movement.

I plan on taking the Chromis to the LFS and would like to replace them with something that will inhabit the top of the water column as they do, but that are prettier to look at or cooler to watch.

I have considered some other species of damsel, but the aggressiveness that everyone says they have has kept me away to this point.

Can anyone make a suggestion?
Thanks!!

Livestock: 80lbs LR; 4 Green Chromis; 6Line Wrasse; BiCo Blenny; Diamond Goby; Cleaner Shrimp; Assorted Snails/Hermits/Emeralds; Assorted Mushrooms; Leathers; Zoos; Hammer; Xenia; Star Polyps; Acropora

Old 10-09-2006, 06:53 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
How about a clown fish. I personally love the yellow stripe maroons, but they can be aggressive.
Check out liveaquaria.com or any of the other sites. Your question is very openended. I say, check out some fish, see what you like and post your "wish list". It seems to be easier that way, otherwise you will have folks throwing out fish name like crazy.....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't think there are a lot of fish that would fit his needs. Most SW fish live among the rock work or lower water column for protection from predators. Schooling fish that woud look nice and are in all levels of the water column are Anthias and they come in a variety of colors. I don't know everything there is to know about fish so there may be more or I might just be talking out the side of my neck!
Old 10-09-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Look into the Nemateleotris genus. Cool fish!
Old 10-09-2006, 07:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had a pair of those and they were cowards that hid in the bottom back corner of the tank. They eventually died because they were too scared to come out and eat.
flanque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:02 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I just added these to my main. They are good schooling fish They are bartletts anthias. I`m going to give the regular names instead and keep it simple. They swim in schools near the top. Little bit on the pricey side compared to the chromis. Here is a pic of them.

There is also a red fairy anthias there also.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

When I read your title I was thinkung chromis. I love mine. Not sure how big your system is, but I equate a small school of chromis to 1 larger fish (tang/butterfly) since they do not seem to produce a lot of waste.

If you tank is large enough I say keep the chromis and add a few other compatible fish assuming you have a 75g or larger.

HTH,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wish I could have a small school of chromis.. my damsel I suspect would have a problem though.
flanque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:11 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanque
I wish I could have a small school of chromis.. my damsel I suspect would have a problem though.
What type of damsel? I had a domino that used to school with my chromis.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:16 AM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I have my 5 chromis and 5 anthias all schooling together

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
column

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com