Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2006, 12:44 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just a reminder, there are no laws until you get caught and big fish eat little fish

CPR Bak Pak Protein skimmer
Rena 200 watt heater
T-5 Ligihting
(2) 54 watt
(2) 36 watt
Water General RO+DI
(4) Homade Moonlights LED 470nm
87# Live Rock Gulf, Keys, Bali
80# Crushed Coral with Aragonite
(2) Percula Clownfish
(1) 3 Spot Domino Damselfish
(2) Yellowtail Damselfish
(2) Sargent Major Damselfish
(1) Choclate Chip Starfish
(3) Brittle Stars
Lots of Snails and Hermit Crabs (Not Identified)
(5) Crab (Not Identified)
(2) Black Urchin
(10) Dwarf Red tipped Hermit crabs
(7) Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs
(9) Mexican Turbo Snails
(3) Peppermint Shrimp
Lots of other stuff (Not Identified)
divemasterjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:41 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by divemasterjim
Just a reminder, there are no laws until you get caught and big fish eat little fish
I hope that was a joke. Laws are laws rather your caught or not. We wouldn't want to promote illegal collecting.
If it isn't legal, and in addition to what everyone else has said, with so many fish available to you to choose from at a lfs, is it really worth saving ten bucks or so to remove fish or inverts from the wild? What about impact on the species you are taking? The removal of fish and inverts for the hobby is regulated for a reason. Yes, you are one person and removing one fish/invert may not cause a decline in that species or have a negative impact on that area of the ocean but, what if everyone felt the same way? I'll just take one for my tank....
But, if it is legal, I think it sounds like more trouble than it's worth. With added cost of transport, extended QT'ing and the potential pollutants etc. that could be involved is it worth it just to say you caught that one yourself? Just some thoughts. Good luck either way.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:06 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
illegal? then that would make salt water fishing illegal, after all you can catch most any fish out there. im aware some species may be endangered though

eventually im planning on moving to the carolinas, and georgia is the only state between them

i know it would be a stretch, but i was wondering more, if it can be done.

i do disagree however it would be more expensive to ship, considering some saltwater fish cost hundreds...
Old 08-30-2006, 04:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc8719
illegal? then that would make salt water fishing illegal, after all you can catch most any fish out there. im aware some species may be endangered though...
Not the same thing. Catching game fish and collecting ornamental reef fish are to me, two different things. Example: If I'm out marlin fishing and hook a butterflyfish (not gonna happen but still), unless your using the small fish for bait, your not gonna keep it. Kinda like catching a minnow when your bass fishing. Not really a fair comparison. And I'm thinking the licenses/permits are probably different. I'm not a resident of FL so I don't know for sure. It's something you need to look into if you are serious about it.

Quote:
i know it would be a stretch, but i was wondering more, if it can be done.
Can it be done? Probably. You should first talk to the Florida DNR or whoever regulates collection of reef fishes there to find out the laws and what licenses are required. If you are lucky enough to find a good, strong, hardy, healthy fish, it will probably do fine with proper QT and acclimation. Should it be done? That's all opinion and everyone is gonna have one. Safe bet not everyone is gonna agree. It wouldn't be worth it for me.

Quote:
i do disagree however it would be more expensive to ship, considering some saltwater fish cost hundreds.
I'm curious, what high dollar fish are you going to find along the beaches of Florida? Any hermits you find will be semi terrestrial and as mentioned already, the stars are most likely not gonna be reef safe.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:16 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
I'm curious, what high dollar fish are you going to find along the beaches of Florida?
LOL! Fluff, I was just going to ask that myself. It seems the high dollar fish are either rare or not from/very close to our waters.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:32 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

haha... i meant scuba diving for them, i know that they have trips for fw people, were they take them to the amazon, catch the fish, and then pay for shipping back to the states, im sure they have sw trips too, and let me retract "fish that cost hundreds" to fish $100+

i think you exagerate how much overnight shipping is though
Old 08-30-2006, 07:51 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Perhaps they do.

I wasn't referring to just shipping.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:27 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Don't do it. If you think about it the fish that are caught in the wild and sold at the LFS are regulated. These folks have licenses to catch these fish and have to report in most cases what they catch live or dead. So the governments or regulatory organizations would tell them when to start and stop fishing for certain animals. If everyone took just a little something for their tank without the regulation requirements, man I don't even want to go there. Also when you factor in the cost to go to a reef, diving gear, time spent fishing for the animal, shipping it home (plus stress to the animal that has never been in such a confinced space), shipping cost, and extended quarantine time, you might as well have gone to the LFS and bought it. Why bother? If you live next to a reef then go diving or snorkeling and enjoy it there and don't bring it home. Your tank would be the ocean and it would never be the same tank twice! Just my opinion.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:51 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

ya i think your right, this post i meant to be a "is it possible" more than "reality"

although it would be cool to collect your fish, just the same, thanks guys
Old 08-31-2006, 07:18 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is it possible? Yes. Should it be done? Probably not.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com