Fish going down prefilter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bwlker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can someone offer a solution to my problem, please. I have a 130 Tenecor marine tank. I just purchased 6 small chromis and have found that they are getting swept into the prefilter and consequently down into the sump. :cry: How can I make the prefilter holes smaller? I would think that there might be some type of material that can be put over part of the holes (which are really slits) that will cover them but let the water flow through.

What I do is only put enough water in the tank to go through the slits halfway, that has help and no longer the small fish I have, get trapped in it. Also, I guess my fish learned about the prefilter and never got close to it again after the experience. lol

the water is only half way up. After there first time there is no second chance for these little guys. :cry: They can't seem to get out and get sucked down to the bio filter. By the time I notice that someone is gone it's to late. They usually get sucked in during the night.

Thanks for the thought. If I didn't already have the water down I would do that.

So did you check to see if there is any agression between the inhabitants and the water parameters, were they checked. since that can lead to sudden dart movements and stress on the fish which would lead them to jump out of the tanks and also hang around the prefilters long enough to get sucked in.

Back
Top Bottom