Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2005, 03:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fish Growth in smaller tanks

I only have a 37 gallon reef tank, and would like to put a couple of fish in that supposedly grow much larger...isn't it a general rule that fish won't grow nearly as much in a smaller tank, or is that just a myth?

Old 10-26-2005, 03:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

What fish are you thinking of adding?

My first instinct is that if it's supposed to grow much larger than your tank, it is a bad idea to add it. It may not grow to its full potential, but that doesn't mean it is suitable for your tank.

Let us know what you are thinking and we can let you know if it will work.

tripper

Old 10-26-2005, 04:38 PM   #3

I have a 1" Coral Beauty that is doing very well, and would like to put in a Flame Angel about the same size...I also have 2 small, tank raised clowns...
Old 10-26-2005, 05:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Many would also contend that to house a fish that would grow much larger than should be held in your aquarium would be cruel and effect its overall health and well-being.

That having been said, I wouldn't think a flame angel would get too big for your aquarium though. I looked in a couple of books and they say a max of 4". If it was something like a panther grouper I would suggest not purchasing it.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Although that may be true, you are going to see major aggression issues putting 2 dwarf angels in the same tank. I don't think it is a problem to have one dwarf angel in a 37G tank, but two would cause big problems.

Also keep in mind that neither of the two angels, Coral Beauty or Flame, are 100% reef safe. If you are keeping a number of corals there is a chance these fish will pick at them.

tripper
Old 10-26-2005, 05:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Absolutely right, I wasn't even thinking about aggression or compatability, just size.

Thanks Tripper!
Old 10-26-2005, 05:52 PM   #7

From experience i've tried a rusty and a pygmy angel in my 210. Let me tell you it was WWIII in my tank. I couldn't fish either one out fast enough and the pygmy ended up dead. I couldn't imagine 2 dwarfs in a 37. You have to keep in mind also your tank isn't exactly holding 37 gallons after you figure on the substrate and the LR. Prob more along lower 30's to upper 20's. Over stocking will also cause stress and sickness to the entire tank.

But to each his own I guess. It's only advice.

HTH
Old 10-26-2005, 08:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice job tripper. This is not an issue of the appropriate size fish for a tank. It is a compatibility issue. In a 37gal. there will be only one dwarf angel left in the end.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Check out my sig for what I have stocked. The fish have plenty of room to swim around and they all have their own unique colors they add to the tank. The firefish is always in the middle of the tank, the goby hangs out in the sand, the 6 line wrasse cruises in and out of rocks all day, and the clowns host in my flower pot. They all have their own territory and niche where they occupy. I would take back the angel and go with more appropriate fish.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:56 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
DragonForce, I'd love to see some pics of your tank Also did you know you have 3 feet of sand in your tank, I think you have 3" not 3'

Tags
growth, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com