Fish Growth in smaller tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reeftankman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I only have a 37 gallon reef tank, and would like to put a couple of fish in that supposedly grow much larger...isn't it a general rule that fish won't grow nearly as much in a smaller tank, or is that just a myth?

What fish are you thinking of adding?

My first instinct is that if it's supposed to grow much larger than your tank, it is a bad idea to add it. It may not grow to its full potential, but that doesn't mean it is suitable for your tank.

Let us know what you are thinking and we can let you know if it will work.

tripper

I have a 1" Coral Beauty that is doing very well, and would like to put in a Flame Angel about the same size...I also have 2 small, tank raised clowns...

Many would also contend that to house a fish that would grow much larger than should be held in your aquarium would be cruel and effect its overall health and well-being.

That having been said, I wouldn't think a flame angel would get too big for your aquarium though. I looked in a couple of books and they say a max of 4". If it was something like a panther grouper I would suggest not purchasing it. :)

Although that may be true, you are going to see major aggression issues putting 2 dwarf angels in the same tank. I don't think it is a problem to have one dwarf angel in a 37G tank, but two would cause big problems.

Also keep in mind that neither of the two angels, Coral Beauty or Flame, are 100% reef safe. If you are keeping a number of corals there is a chance these fish will pick at them.

tripper

From experience i've tried a rusty and a pygmy angel in my 210. Let me tell you it was WWIII in my tank. I couldn't fish either one out fast enough and the pygmy ended up dead. I couldn't imagine 2 dwarfs in a 37. You have to keep in mind also your tank isn't exactly holding 37 gallons after you figure on the substrate and the LR. Prob more along lower 30's to upper 20's. Over stocking will also cause stress and sickness to the entire tank.

But to each his own I guess. It's only advice.

HTH

Nice job tripper. This is not an issue of the appropriate size fish for a tank. It is a compatibility issue. In a 37gal. there will be only one dwarf angel left in the end.

Check out my sig for what I have stocked. The fish have plenty of room to swim around and they all have their own unique colors they add to the tank. The firefish is always in the middle of the tank, the goby hangs out in the sand, the 6 line wrasse cruises in and out of rocks all day, and the clowns host in my flower pot. They all have their own territory and niche where they occupy. I would take back the angel and go with more appropriate fish.

DragonForce, I'd love to see some pics of your tank :D Also did you know you have 3 feet of sand in your tank, I think you have 3" not 3' ;)

I asked this same question to Steve S. and he gave the perfect answer and I just cant seem to find it.Not the best in using the search

Back
Top Bottom