Fish help needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clown Monarch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I travelled just this past weekend to a pet shop almost 2 hours away on the suggestion of a friend. The place was incredible, but I'm a little miffed at the information I received.

First, I bought a Cleaner Wrasse, but upon researching found that they have poor survival rates in captivity. So far he appears to be doing very well and watching the other fish willfully stand still while he cleans is fun to watch. Anyone have positive experience with this fish?

Second - and this one really gets me - they sold me a Beaked Leatherjacket as seen here: http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfacts/fish/olongir.htm. Several sources state that the fish commonly lives in pairs and feeds STRICTLY on acropora. Supposedly the survival rate of this fish in captivity is absolutely dismal - most won't live a week. It hasn't eaten or shown any interest in eating yet (mysis, cyclopeeze, flakes). It picks VERY gently at some leather corals, but doesn't hurt anything.

I distinctly asked if these fish lived in pairs, were reef-safe and what their diets were. Well, I wrote them any email about the situation so we'll see if I get response, but in the meantime, is there anything I can do for these little guys?

"The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" is a good place to start with your questions. Half of the book is devoted to various species and how to properly maintain your tank for them and how to keep them healthy.

In the mean time, try soaking the food in garlic juice. Sometimes it stimulates a feeding response.

Sounds like a good lesson learned - -not relying soley on the LFS information. :wink:

Gotta do some research on your own so that the uninformed LFS doesn't take all our money. 8)

I generally give the LFS one chance to impress me. If they don't, they lose my business. I'm not a marine biologist nor do I have the eating, living habits of 10,000 species of fish committed to memory, so I like to depend on the salesman to give me good information - and I'll reward him with future business.

The Leatherjacket is still alive and it's nibbling at algae - maybe she'll be OK?

The Cleaner Wrasse may not have enough other fish to sustain it. It doesn't look to be interested in mysis/cyclopeeze, but picks at algae. The Powder Blue Tang is the only fish that really gets ticked when being "cleaned".

I already have one store that I have a great deal of trust in, I may have to just stick to them.

Back
Top Bottom