Fish hiding = Tank looks boring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StripesTheEel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys,

When I set up my new 100gal, I had learnt alot from my first 75gal. So of course I took the knowledge I had gained and made a few minor adjustments..

One change I made was rockwork.. My 100gal has two mountain kinds of rockwork, with no real hiding spaces, but is free sitting and the fish can swim right around the rocks, whereas my 75gal has the rockwork sitting against theback of the tank and lots and lots of hiding space.

The 100gal always has movement of fish etc, whereas te 75gal looks like I have no fish in it at all.

Is this as simple as moving the rockwork, or am i missing something?

Thanks!

I think you've got it. Not missing anything at all. But IMO, and depending on how long the 75g has been up, moving the rock is not going to be a good experience. Just thinking how much stuff is probably gonna be back there. It'd probably take some time, water changes, monitoring, and cleaning. This of course is assuming there's 75 lbs or more of rock in it.

You keeping 2 tanks, right? If so, maybe keep both rock formations. Or maybe I'm seeing the worst of the 75g re-aquascaping and shouldn't be at all.

IMO, you need to strike a balance. Too many hiding places and you end up with your current issue, you don't see your fish. But not enough hiding places and your fish will become stressed. When something happens to startle your fish they really need to have a place to flee to. If they can't get somewhere to hide, they will dart around in a panic. Some fish also just like to have somewhere concealed to "sleep". Just as with any other animal, if it can't rest comfortably it will become exhausted.

My fish all have a place where they sleep at night. As soon as the daylights go off it starts to settle down in the tank - and after the actinics go off every fish is in it's spot - usually a hiding place between rocks. Most are dug out like nests.

I would never get rid of hiding places. Try sleeping in the middle of your driveway one night.

Try sleeping in the middle of your driveway one night.
You've done that too? Thought I was the only one. Can't remember how I got there....
Kidding.... :wink:

Seriously, it also depends on what fish you have in there. Some are more shy that others.

IMO really boils down to the fish that you have in the tank. I would recommend something like a wrasse if compatible. I used to have the same problem until I added my Lunare wrasse. She is always swimming and keeps everything else active as well.

What kind of fish do you have in the tank????

Yellow Tang, Flame Hawkfish, 2 o.clowns, Flame Angel, SNE, Blue Tang..Royal Dottyback

A few months ago i got rid of the majority of the fish from it as I was a little overstocked.. Have had the tank for 2 years..still am with the possibility of moving one of the tangs.. but i did get rid of a coral beauty, sleeper goby, cleaner wrasse and 2 damsels.. im getting there guys..

Too many hiding places and you end up with your current issue, you don't see your fish. But not enough hiding places and your fish will become stressed. When something happens to startle your fish they really need to have a place to flee to. If they can't get somewhere to hide, they will dart around in a panic. Some fish also just like to have somewhere concealed to "sleep". Just as with any other animal, if it can't rest comfortably it will become exhausted.

yah thats what i want to do.. I think i have too many hiding spaces.. apart from the two tangs all the other fish retreat into the tiniest of spaces..

Back
Top Bottom