Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-11-2006, 11:50 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Fish in overflow. Hate it when that happens. A fix???

Thought about putting something over my overflow boxes once in order to keep light out of there. Gave up on that idea. Nothing airtight, just something lid a lid, maybe an inch or two above'm. Need air exchange there, right?

Now, I got a better reason. Darned fish in the overflow. Removed the durso standpipe last nite and tried to get him to no avail. I'm sure he's pretty stressed and hopefully not injured. It's my male carpenter flasher wrasse. Heck, the two females are no good to me without the male doing his dance.

It just came to me. Maybe a 1 1/2 inch flex tube and siphon him out into a bucket. Think that'll work or is a a 2" healthy fish too strong for that? Any other tricks to offer?

And for the overflow "roof". Any ideas?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Feron Send a message via Yahoo to Feron
Had one of my clowns 'go over the wall' the other day.
Mine is a corner overflow, so It may have more room in it.. I just stuck a large netdown in there (which he avoided to one side, then got trapped in) and reeled him in.
He was happily nibbling on the funk of sponges/pods/etc that grows in the overflow..

Often times wonder if I should clean it out... but I figure it's a decent nutrient export on some level.

As for the lid.. I think that the fish actually more go through the area around the return pipe (in mine anyhow). So even if there is a lid, make sure it comes down and sort of blocks that gap too.. and be sure to leave enough clearance for the air tube.. as far as gas exchange, you could simply have holes in the top and that should be ok (the whole top of my tank is open, so I don't worry about covering up such a small area).

hth or something

Old 05-11-2006, 02:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had a clown go into the overflow as well. It was a tight fit to grab him with a net. I basically had to wait until he swam into it, and then pull it out. I think if you can fit the net into your overflow, it would be less stressful than siphoning him out.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:22 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Yeah, my old tank w/corner overflows was easier. I can get a net down there, but with the durso footing ('bout 5-6"), and the return tubes, it's real tight. I will try the nets again, but may have to resort to the siphoning - if he's not too strong a swimmer.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 05-11-2006, 02:37 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I've seen people cut chunks of the same eggcrate grid we recommend for covering your tank to sit just on the top of the overflow intake box. Works well for not only fish but snails as well while still having large enough gaps as to not inhibit too much water flow.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:53 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Bingo!!!!!!

That's what I'm gonna do. Thanks Billy!

Old 05-11-2006, 11:32 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

They make black plastic gutter guard as well.

I have had 2 fish in my overflow and I had to remove both pipes thus leaving little water and then was able to net the fish. Stressful but they made it.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:27 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Resolved. When I removed the durso, he got sucked into the pipe and ended up in the sock in the sump/fuge. Pulled it off and dropped him back into the tank. W/in 5 minutes he was eating like a pig and swimming with his two "chicks" (got two females also).

That was easy - - - this time.

Tags
flow, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com