Fish In Overflow, Rescue Mission Planned.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patroklos

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I had thought my brand new Argi Dwarf Angel had died somewhere. This had disappointed me because I had got him acclimated and eating and then one day *poof* nowhere to be scene. Moved around the live rock, looked around the tank stand, and checked the overflow.

Well today on a whim I checked the overflow again and there he is. I attempted to get him with a net but it was too big to fit in there and honestly I have no idea how I would manuver a net around in there anyway.

Do any of you have an suggestions as to how to snag this little guy?

Oh yeah, still alive and kicking, Argi Dwarf Angels reach 3" max and he is only a 1.5" specimen so he has had plenty of room to swim around in.

It is just your standard overflow. About 6" long, 2" deep and 2' in height, but with two PVC pipes going through it that makes it tight for my purposes.

Honestly, I think the little guy might like it it there!

I know it sounds rough but I had my pink spotted goby jump in my overflow. He was there 4 months before I found him. I reached in with my hand and pulled him out and added back to the main tank.

I have a screen material setup w/ dowels like a reverse teepee. Turn off the pumps, drop it in, spread it out and lift.

I had considered leaving it in there full time but it's a rare occasion that I need it

Wow,

I wish I had read those posts before starting my rescue. In any case using a net or my hands proved impossible. I just didn't have enough room or light to catch him. So I turned off my return pump, pulled out the overflow pipe and drained the overflow.

I had intended the above actions to leave the litte guy helpless at the bottom of the overflow. Unfortunetly he got sucked sown into the sump. It took a bit of head scratching before I looked dow there and saw him swiming like mad, actually juming from my sump to my refugium to my return chamber and back again! So I go through the effort of taking down my skimmer and various hoses to give me room to catch the little guy and finally he is back safeand sound in the main tank.

Unfortunetly in doin all this I churned up all sorts of detrius from the reguium and sump whic has clowded my display bad. Itis starting to subside by my previously clean sand bet is covered in crap now. My snails/shimps/hermits are busy with the cleanup.

Also, for some reasomn my female ocellaris clown is harassing the argi even though there were no problems the first time added him. It is even more odd since the argi is holed up on the opposite side of the tank than the hammer the clowns host. Go figure...

The clown just thinks that the fish is a new addition to the tank. should calm down in a couple of days.

awe sorry about your argi - even though your clown wasn't harrassing him initially is it possible that it started to and maybe he was hiding out in the overflow? I'm sorry he caused you so much trouble - it always amazes me what trouble we will go to "save" a fish, sometimes I think they can cause more rucus than a dog or cat lol and people like to call them easy!

Back
Top Bottom