Fish jumping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dannyb

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, So in my previous topic(http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/nitrate-jump-121186.html) i was worried about a nitrate jump and thought a missing fish caused the problem but thought there would be more ammonia and nitrites involved.

As it turns out, I found the zebra fish behind my tank.

Now can someone please explain to me why he would of jumped out of the tank? There is no glass lid, But i do have a hood on it, But an opening at the back for all the wires.

OoO it really hard to say why.
one time my green spotted puffer jumped out cuz he thought there was food.

He could have been spooked or was chasing another fish and misjudged at night or early morning, Hard to say. Sorry for your lost.

My Regal tang jumped form the tank after years in there but I think it's because I startled it.............after 20mins! my daughter managed to get it from behind the sump............ covered in fluff and all stiff he still showed signs of life so bucket of water and constant water flow/clean water changing he is now fine.......sorry for your loss

My Regal tang jumped form the tank after years in there but I think it's because I startled it.............after 20mins! my daughter managed to get it from behind the sump............ covered in fluff and all stiff he still showed signs of life so bucket of water and constant water flow/clean water changing he is now fine.......sorry for your loss
That's a good discription about never giving up on a fish, even if it does look almost dead. Great stuff...

There could be dozens of reasons. Aggression, feeding, Stray voltage, water parameters and many more. Really hard to say.

when the timer shuts the power off, it has a tendency to startle fish. if your fish happened to be near the opening when the light went off, it could have easily been the cause.
as melosu58 said, there are many reasons it could have happened. best bet is to cover any holes in your lid to prevent future jumpers. sorry for your loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry about your loss and a suggestion... I used those fluorescent box plastic grids to cover my tank. They are cheap and easy to cut (with hot knife) in the right shape around filters and wires.

I believe tht opy is refering to "eggcrate" and is found in the hardware stores.

img_1036184_0_6664e1454baca631117bfc2d1f6132a7.jpg

Yeah, I have a ton of the stuff lying around.

Oh, and if anyone is looking for this stuff, its 'eggcrate' lighting diffuser. You can usually find it in the commercial lighting section of your local hardware store. Near the ballasts and fluorescent fixtures.
Sorry to disappoint those of who were hoping to get one of those sloppy jagged circles pictured above. That's an EK exclusive custom fabrication. Hahaha.

Yes, thank you guys - Thin Cat and Exodon King - that's it!
And I cut a plastic (bath curtain) in the same shape to put over the grid to control the evaporation.

Picasa Web Albums - pickup
IhCA1Fmzi2nx8Mg91EEvhA
IhCA1Fmzi2nx8Mg91EEvhA
I think that would cut down on your lighting. You need the light penetration to grow corals and such.

I think that would cut down on your lighting. You need the light penetration to grow corals and such.

Hi, there. Yes... but in my situation (I don't have coral or plants) the light is OK. I have it reduced just 30% and I can changed for a transparent plastic if I need more in the future. Thank you.

Of interest,,,Does that make your tank run hot? Or is it just that one section?

Back
Top Bottom