Fish jumping out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
N live aquaria it says that some fish need a tight fitting lid because they may jump out... I didn't think you can have a lid on saltwater because of gas exchange. How do you keep the fish in the tank??

You can put a canopy, or make a screen top. Either way I personally wouldn't put a glass lid on top of my tanks.

BRS has a good instructional video:

No problem! The regular screen stuff from Home Depot or Lowes will work as well. Supposedly the clear screen allows more light penetration etc.

In the vid. It says that it costs about 30 bucks to make! That's a little high. I was hoping to make it for like 15.

What kind of gas exchange?? I guess I have never heard of this. Any more information would be greatly appreciated!!

TigerBarbs said:
In the vid. It says that it costs about 30 bucks to make! That's a little high. I was hoping to make it for like 15.

You can just get the screen and use some duct tape.

Depending on where you put the tape, it'd be hard to see. I guess I wouldn't think it'd be so bad since i have a canopy on top anyways.

Plastic sewing mesh might be a bit thick. Can't recall, but i think it's a lot thicker than screen mesh.

What kind of gas exchange?? I guess I have never heard of this. Any more information would be greatly appreciated!!

Having an open top gives your tank a lot more surface area between your water and the open air. This gives you better gas exchange between the water and air when compared to a closed glass lid. This is ultimately healthier for your tank as oxygen can be reintroduced to your tank and CO2 is released from your water.

However, with an open top, there is a chance for your fish to jump out etc. A good way around this is with a canopy, or like I suggested above, a screen mesh top.

One other alternative that I think can give you a tighter fitting top for about $20 (up to a 48"x18" tank) is using light diffuser grating. You just use a paif of side cutting pliers to snip the pieces out you don't need. I did this with my 75 for fear of my flasher wrasse carpet surfing. I used white grating which costs about $20 per section at Home Depot. One section gave me just a little more than I needed. If you have it available, I think black would look less conspicuous. (If the topof my tank was a little higher, I wouldn't be able to see it at all.) There is also silver out there as well. It does cut down on some of the light penetration (moreso than the clear screening mentioned earlier), but it doesn't seem to be all that much to make a difference to my corals. Unlike the screen, the light diffuser can be cut into pretty much any shape whereas you're pretty limited to just rectangles with the window screen frames.

Or... you can get some polypropelene netting and make a cover that does not restrict or shadow light like the ceiling grids/light diffuser panels and others do. I did onw and easily framed it with PVC quarter round, glues and stainless steel screws. Got plenty available for shipping.

austinsdad said:
Or... you can get some polypropelene netting and make a cover that does not restrict or shadow light like the ceiling grids/light diffuser panels and others do. I did onw and easily framed it with PVC quarter round, glues and stainless steel screws. Got plenty available for shipping.

There's a awesome idea

Back
Top Bottom