Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2014, 04:04 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Breakthecycle2
Im with some of the other posters. most likely aggression. The tang is in too small of a tank and you have too many clown fish.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakthecycle2 View Post
Im not buying the "overloaded" theory. Yes, it could be, but When I had two 38G going, I had 10 fish in one and 12 in the other. Granted, most of them where 2" or smaller, but thats as much or more of a bioload. I guess the real question is, how much live rock do you have and how big is the tang?

A fresh or salt tank? It's makes a big difference. The amount of fish isn't the factor. It is how much food they eat and how much they poop. The tang also needs much more swimming room. That's like saying "I'm gonna have a family of 12 people live in a one bedroom 1/2 bath apartment." It's not going to work. The OP is wrong and didn't do enough reasearch. I seriously hope you didn't have that many fish in that size salt tank. That would be I humane.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Although most have pointed out that the tang is not supposed to be in a 30G tank in a long term basis which I definitely agree with, however the main question of the op is what killed the other inhabitants. First, a 4-month old tank is not stable enough to keep such number of fish and adding 2 fish at the same time can cause an ammonia spike. If you have taken your parameter reading when it happened, you could have made a conclusion. I would also question if those dead were feed enough. Although yellow tang is usually peaceful with other species it can be aggressive once confined in a small territory. The number of days for the 3-inch yellow tang is numbered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Breakthecycle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macscale View Post
A fresh or salt tank? It's makes a big difference. The amount of fish isn't the factor. It is how much food they eat and how much they poop. The tang also needs much more swimming room. That's like saying "I'm gonna have a family of 12 people live in a one bedroom 1/2 bath apartment." It's not going to work. The OP is wrong and didn't do enough reasearch. I seriously hope you didn't have that many fish in that size salt tank. That would be I humane.

I think you should do your research. they were saltwater tanks. It's not inhumane. Give me a break. It depends on that kind of fish first of all. Secondly it depends on the size of fish. Putting 10 tangs in a 40 gallon is inhumane. Before you criticize someone, know all the facts.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #25
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Please let's make sure we stay on topic and avoid any personal attacks or trolling. I appreciate everyone (op included) in getting things back on track.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fish killed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakthecycle2 View Post
I think you should do your research. they were saltwater tanks. It's not inhumane. Give me a break. It depends on that kind of fish first of all. Secondly it depends on the size of fish. Putting 10 tangs in a 40 gallon is inhumane. Before you criticize someone, know all the facts.

You literally just said what I said in different words with different examples. You said size... I said the amount of poop they make... Obviously the bigger te fish the bigger the poop. I don't mean to get into a fight. I'm trying to find out more of your situation and see if it can apply to OPs.

Putting one tang in a 40 is inhumane.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Putting any fish in an in appropriate home is inhumane. Period, end of story.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

If its all about the bioload, if you had a 40 gallon with a 50 gallon sump for exemple, the tang could be fine?
Old 03-09-2014, 08:19 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonygaliazzo View Post
If its all about the bioload, if you had a 40 gallon with a 50 gallon sump for exemple, the tang could be fine?
For tang or other bigger fish the swimming space or tank foot print is more considered than the water volume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:21 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Even if you had a 100g sump it still needs more room, they NEED a bigger tank and thats just about the end of the story. Bioload is just one factor in keeping tangs. The most important thing in my opinion AND experience is swim room. They stress so easily and can get ich when stressed or other diseases, its just not worth it.
I also wanted a tang SOOOO badly in my 55g but I bit the bullet and waited. It was worth it in so many ways. Even in a 180g six foot tank they get stressed and can die. I lost a yellow tang just last week that I put in the week before. I fed well and had good water and the tank size and he still died. He wouldnt eat and was clearly stressed. I also had put in THREE naso tangs at different times of course and each one died as well. Tangs are finicky fish and need all the help they can get to live happy lives.

Tags
fish, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com