Fish killed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joby wan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently added a royal gramma and a cardinal into my tank. But now I have a dead royal beauty and now a Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp. My tank is 30 gallons and I only have 3 clown and a yellow tang as of now. Plus a few coral. Who's doing the killing? I had no fish deaths until I added these two. I see the gramma eating but not the cardinal. Is it reasonable to believe the cardinal is the cause ?

This might be aggression out of a tang lacking enough room to swim, as these are fish that need much larger tanks for many reasons. It is also likely that the death could be from ammonia poisoning. Your tank is currently overstocked with a fish like a tank in it and easy to cause a spike, especially by adding two fish at once.

And 3 clowns in a 30is a no go too, atleast one will end up being killed. 3 clowns,a coral beauty and a tang, you need to start doing research before stocking anything else in your tank.

Considering I have had the all those minus the cardinal and the gramma for 4 months and had not lost a fish.

No considering you had 2 fish that have no business in a 35g, and you think that by far the most peaceful fish in the tank (cardinal) killed something

Which is why I'm looking at this being an issue of overloading a stressed system. Though we could go on about the requirements for these fish, understand that these fish are large even though when they are small sure don't look like things are the case. Big fish eat alot and poop alot...which causes issues in smaller systems. Adding two fish probably just pushed things over the edge.
Though things are going ok, and understand I want them to continue to go well for you and your endeavors in the hobby, that you might want to consider looking into this all before it gets out of hand. See if you can swap the tang out for a new cardinal and you'll be much better off in the long run.

One of my tangs ripped through 8 cleaner shrimp I had in my 125g, not to eat them but to just kill them. Tangs are aggressive and should not in any circumstances be in a 30g tank. The angel is also and aggressive fish so that pretty much explains what happened. \
The added bioload of the two fish could also be the culprit, I suspect between that and the aggressive fish you now have this issue.
And as a side note, 3 clowns in a 30g is a big no no... I had 2 pairs in a 6 foot tank and they were fine for months until one day the one pair tried to kill the other two, luckily I was home and had an extra tank to put them in.
Maybe in a 220g or bigger you can have multiple clowns and some people have had some luck doing it in smaller tanks but it will almost always result in disaster.

Tang needs to go back to the LFS, clowns (at least 1) should as well. I have always found shrimp to be sensitive to water quality, so this is likely the issue. 4 months isn't the mark of a successful tank. Try planning more long term and you will kill a lot less.

To add to what the others are saying, you have 7 fish in a 30 and a 4 month old tank. That's a ton of fish in a small tank in a short time period. 4 months is nowhere near success with fish, doing research prior to buying fish and stocking incredibly slowly are the keys to success in this hobby. People here are giving unbiased advice, unlike lfs. We want to see tanks thrive not have fish kill each other or become stressed.

Thanks for all the advise. Will move much slower from now on!

I might consider it. I love wasting money and watching my fish die tang police bc if I knew in advance that my tang was gonna get pissed with the recent additions I would of added them sooner.

The replies I am going to get should be even more comical to me.

I might consider it. I love wasting money and watching my fish die tang police bc if I knew in advance that my tang was gonna get pissed with the recent additions I would of added them sooner.

The replies I am going to get should be even more comical to me.

Your not being funny. You are flooding the community with nonsense and wasting users time when they could be out helping someone who really needs it.

It's too bad you are seeing people try to help you as comical, as all information provided is true. My hope is that you can take some of the advice given as it will hope your tank in the long run. I hate seeing others drop out of the hobby after avoidable issues and tank crashes. Either way, good luck to you.

I am sad people don't understand sarcasm and no I am not getting out of the hobby. Just a learning experience.

Im not buying the "overloaded" theory. Yes, it could be, but When I had two 38G going, I had 10 fish in one and 12 in the other. Granted, most of them where 2" or smaller, but thats as much or more of a bioload. I guess the real question is, how much live rock do you have and how big is the tang?

Back
Top Bottom