Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fish killed

I recently added a royal gramma and a cardinal into my tank. But now I have a dead royal beauty and now a Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp. My tank is 30 gallons and I only have 3 clown and a yellow tang as of now. Plus a few coral. Who's doing the killing? I had no fish deaths until I added these two. I see the gramma eating but not the cardinal. Is it reasonable to believe the cardinal is the cause ?

Old 03-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

The tang patrol is gonna have fun with you just saying

Old 03-08-2014, 09:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

You had the tang in there for how long?
Old 03-08-2014, 10:57 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

This might be aggression out of a tang lacking enough room to swim, as these are fish that need much larger tanks for many reasons. It is also likely that the death could be from ammonia poisoning. Your tank is currently overstocked with a fish like a tank in it and easy to cause a spike, especially by adding two fish at once.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Fish killed

And 3 clowns in a 30is a no go too, atleast one will end up being killed. 3 clowns,a coral beauty and a tang, you need to start doing research before stocking anything else in your tank.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:15 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Considering I have had the all those minus the cardinal and the gramma for 4 months and had not lost a fish.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:23 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

No considering you had 2 fish that have no business in a 35g, and you think that by far the most peaceful fish in the tank (cardinal) killed something
Old 03-09-2014, 03:24 AM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Which is why I'm looking at this being an issue of overloading a stressed system. Though we could go on about the requirements for these fish, understand that these fish are large even though when they are small sure don't look like things are the case. Big fish eat alot and poop alot...which causes issues in smaller systems. Adding two fish probably just pushed things over the edge.
Though things are going ok, and understand I want them to continue to go well for you and your endeavors in the hobby, that you might want to consider looking into this all before it gets out of hand. See if you can swap the tang out for a new cardinal and you'll be much better off in the long run.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:41 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

One of my tangs ripped through 8 cleaner shrimp I had in my 125g, not to eat them but to just kill them. Tangs are aggressive and should not in any circumstances be in a 30g tank. The angel is also and aggressive fish so that pretty much explains what happened. \
The added bioload of the two fish could also be the culprit, I suspect between that and the aggressive fish you now have this issue.
And as a side note, 3 clowns in a 30g is a big no no... I had 2 pairs in a 6 foot tank and they were fine for months until one day the one pair tried to kill the other two, luckily I was home and had an extra tank to put them in.
Maybe in a 220g or bigger you can have multiple clowns and some people have had some luck doing it in smaller tanks but it will almost always result in disaster.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:35 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tang needs to go back to the LFS, clowns (at least 1) should as well. I have always found shrimp to be sensitive to water quality, so this is likely the issue. 4 months isn't the mark of a successful tank. Try planning more long term and you will kill a lot less.

Tags
fish, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com