Fish killed by basslet.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gozetec02

Aquarium Advice Activist
My Strawberry basslet killed my Firefish. It was bullied to death I think. I am going to call my LFS where i got him to see if i can make an exchange but I doubt it because most places don't guarantee saltwater fish.

What could I do to kind of get this fish under control. :?:

You have a little problem now because you have an aggressive fish in there first. Any new additions that are the same size or smaller my meet the same fate. May want to consider a trade for a less aggressive fish, or get another more aggressive fish in place of the firefish that can fend for itself.
Maybe our little chart can help you in the decision.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/SWCompatibility.php

The strawberry basslet is an aggressive fish, I would not put the strawberry basslet in the same tank as a firefish. Maybe I would consider it if the tank was very large...I dont think the fish store should have sold you those two fish together.....

I went to petco to get some supplies the other day and I saw the same fish combo in one of their waste infested tanks. The firefish was on the brink of death and was very beat up. It would have died anyways considering it was in a petco tank but you get the idea...

They told me it would be fine if as long as I didn't put another strawberry basslet in there. It wasn't a Petco or a big chain store. Its a privately owned petstore. I think its because they are new at saltwater aquariums and lack experience. But all of their fish are healthy and their tanks are kept spotless.

I don't ever buy anything from Petco. Their fish are almost always on the verge of death. I used to keep ball pythons and would always go there to make fun of the people when the told me things like they are aggressive or they get huge LOL. And besides they are way more expensive then Petsmart even though they don't sell marine fish they have some equipment and tanks at great prices.

you should not keep similarly shaped fish with a strawberry pseudochromis. no grammas, no firefish, no other pseudochromis. if you really like the look of the strawberry, consider pseudocromis fridmani, often sold under the common name of "orchid dottyback". they look very similar, only a little more purple in color, and are very docile and can even be kept in groups. definiltly consider trading the strawberry in.

and watch what you say about pet shops on here, people posting about pet stores on online forums have been sued for libel. not something you want to experience.

you can not always blame the fish stores because "they sold it to you", it is also your responsibilty to do your research and plan careuflly. you are as much at fault as they are.

Nice looking compatability chart Q-shark! When didja first put that up, in the last week?

Kudos dude!

Another piece of great information this site has to offer!

On the Orchid Dottyback. Two can cohabitate I believe, just make sure they're not of the same sex. The tails should look completely different. Pretty fish.

Ok i added more fish under the same principle that is used for aggresive fresh water fish. If you add more fish they don't bully just one fish. I added a 3 Stripe Damsel, Blue Devil Damsel, and a Domino Damsel. I added them last night and rearanged the live rock. The Domino was the first to claim a part of the live rock but the basslet kept chasing the domino away but the domino would stand his ground and chase the basslet back. Eventually they occupied the same crevace in the live rock. The other fish kind of swim around the open areas of the tank and use the pvc connectors for hiding places they seem to love it they each get their own "room".

I will report further results from this.

You may have a cage match battle there for awhile, a bit tight in the 20.
Will keep fingers crossed for you.

Well its a 20 long. Same foot print as a 29 except 6" shorter. They seem to be doing ok. They basslet and the domino share the same cave. No fish have tattered fins or seem stressed ie clamped fins and such. And there is plenty of swimming space. I did as much research as I could. I am not the type that just jumps into things. I feel I may have a bio overload though having that many fish i am watching the ammonia very closely monitoring it every day.

Back
Top Bottom