Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-18-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to Joester2k3 Send a message via Yahoo to Joester2k3
Fish list :)

For my 65 gal. after the cycle i plan to get 2 false percula clowns. After a month of them being in there i figured i would get 2 more percula clowns. and then i am thinking of gettin 1 or 2 Mandarin Dragonet - Greens. Thats about it for the fish. After a month or two of those i think ill start to get some easy corals. Sound good to you guys??

Joester2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
To be honest, I think you might need to rethink your list. First, I would think that one pair of clowns would be the limit in the tank. You do not want too many of the same species as they may compete and become aggressive. A mated pair is great but any clowns added after that would find trouble.

The Mandarin Dragonet is a beautiful fish, but has very specific feeding requirements. The only eat live pods. In order to sustain a mandarin you need approximately 100lbs of LR and a tank that has been established for over a year. So, to support 2 Mandarins you would need a LOT of LR which I don't think you can provide in a 65. You might be able to get away with one down the road, but for now I would hold off.

There are a number of other choices for reef-safe fish you could add to the tank. A couple of my favorites are:

Royal Gramma
Purple Firefish
Six Line Wrasse
Flame Angel (reef-safe with caution)

Take a look at the fish list and compatibility chart on www.liveaquaria.com. They have some great information.

Hope that helps!

tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:30 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I agree that too many clowns are on your list for that size tank. The mandarins wont make it unless a pod rich tank. Fish list that tripper gave looks good except for the flame which I`ve had bad experiences with in my reef tank. Maybe a small yellow tang which Smith and foster says 50 gallon is minimum. Good Luck.
melosu58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I like firefish. Always out and very colorful.
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
*If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com