Fish lists and best overall feeding routine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomtom14

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone much appreciated if you can give me a helping hand here. So I have a 630 litre system(140 gallons) and have decided on a fish list but would like your help on the routine. I wanted to double check they were all good with each other.
The first 3 on the list I already have and it goes in the order I think the fish should be added:
Maroon clown(tiny)
Foxface
Bicolour blenny
Coral beauty
Longnose hawkfish
McCoskers flasher wrasse
Scott's fairy wrasse
Koi fairy wrasse
Copperband butterflyfish
Sailfin tang

Please help with the order as well as the diet. So as far as diet goes I will feed marine cuisine in the morning with dried seaweed on a clip. More marine cuisine in the afternoon and I'm the evening I will feed a flake food like ocean food 55 with some algae pellets. Is that ok? I've got the hang of feeding enough to keep the fish fat but not letting any settle on the bottom. Ow nearly forgot marine cuisine is a mix of enriched brine shrimp, Mysis shrimp, krill and some seaweed.

Thank you for taking your time to read this.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

List looks good. I would maybe not get the copperband though. They can be very very difficult to get to eat. :-(

I would wait in the CB, but everything else looks okay. May be feeding a bit much, just keep the volume of the feedings down.

Ok thanks for the responses everyone.

I like your selection. A few thoughts on the CB. You can add the CB last after the tank matures for awhile. I know there are some on here who think you should never have a CB (due to difficulty) but I've kept one successfully for about a year and a half. They are very personable fish that are always moving and picking at the live rock so well stocked cured live rock is a must imo. Also key that you are able to get them to eat other foods. Mine really likes mysis shrimp. Good luck.

Thanks. Since the very first time I walked into a fish shop when I was 11 I saw a CB and said to my mum can I have that one. The fish shop owner told me i should start with goldfish. Ever since then I've worked my way up to a CB. Goldfish, then cold water community, tropical, planted tropical, FOWLR, reef tank. So I was always going to try and get one of these fish my total favourite fish by looks. The other fish where stepping stones to the CB. Fell in love with them all in the end.

a good 99% of the copper banded butterflies that are collected end up starving to death in people's tanks. You need a very large tank with a lot of live rock to keep one of these, more times than not. I've imported quite a few of them and none of the people I sold to still have them. The three wrasses will be competing with it for any live food available.
I also don't feel you need to feed multiple times a day. I fear you will run into algae problems at least, in a short time. Once a day is more than enough.

I agree with X on the CB. Yes, they are very nice looking fish, but they also have awful survival rates. I've tried two over the years. Even the one that was eating only made it about two months .

Ok I might have to reconsider a prize fish of the tank.

Would a powder brown tang be an ok substitute for the CB? Because the sailfin is Zebrasoma and powder brown tang Acanthurus I thought they might be ok together?

I can only speak from my own experience on the CB. I checked and have now had her for almost 2 years. I would not recommend them for any tank less than a 125g reef tank. I have 3 wrasses in my tank now and do not find that the wrasses compete with the CB. The CB is a constant picker on the outside of the live rock. My wrasses tend to swim in the water column and pick at the inside caves of the live rock. I am very surprised (sadly) to hear of the experiences of others on here. I regularly see good healthy specimens at my local fish shop in south Florida that are already eating mysis. Maybe the suppliers are better down here. I consider the CB a "difficult care" fish but probably less so then most powder tangs (which are prone to parasites). Just my extra 2 cents based on my experience with this very entertaining fish. Guess I should consider myself very lucky to have a well adapted healthy one. ATTACH]265098[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424649134.809170.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424649134.809170.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 73
Small copepods Id guess (though I rarely see those with my eyes) and the beginnings of any aptasia or small tube worms (she ate all the ones I could see within a few days of being introduced to the tank). I realize the wrasses and many other fish eat pods too but I rarely see them cruising the same spots. The CB is one of my favorite fish. Non aggressive but also shows no fear of other fish.

Back
Top Bottom