Fish not eating problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melosu58

SW REEF 20+ YEARS
I just wanted to post a problem that I am seeing alot of in the SW aquaria. I see several post a day about fish that are either sick or dead because they did not eat. To remedy this situation I would make sure the fish is eating before you even buy him. If you see a fish you want, dont take the LFS word for it , make him feed the fish and see yourself that it is eating. If it is not then put down a deposit and tell the LFS that you`ll pick it up when you can see it eat. I do this with all my fish. My LFS knows that if he wants to make a sale to me then he better show me a fish that is eating. If all would practice this then we would have less fish starving and dieing in our tanks and LFS would have and train those that dont eat to eat prepared foods. I`m just concerned about this ever growing problem. Hope all is well in your tank.

Good Info melosu!

Also I think it's important to make sure the LFS keeps the fish for atleast a week or two before selling the fish. I am coming across more and more small LFS's that will sell fish the day after they get them!

-TheChad

I agree guys! The LFS that I deal with write the type of fish and the date they got it onthe glass of the tank they are housed in. I won't buy a fish that has not been at the LFS for at least a week. Totally agree with you guys!!!

Good info :D Only thing I'd add is that "tank raised" fish are hardier the wild caught because they are already used to eating prepared foods and the extra cost is well worth it IMO.

Unfortunately most of the fish sold are wild caught so besides checking for the obvious external illnesses a fish that doesn't eat could also be a sign of sickness that isn't visible.

Back
Top Bottom