Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2011, 05:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Fish online

Hey guys, I am thinking of buying some fish from online, but don't know the steps of what to do before/while adding them to the tank, Any and all help would be nice...

Old 06-10-2011, 06:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not sure what you are actually asking From some experience though...

First, make sure you or someone who is familiar with acclimatization is home to receive. While the places I have used package their fish very well, it is pretty important that the poor things not sit for hours once they arrive before they see the light of day again. Plus, with the temps these days (hopefully things are going to cool off), the cold paks the stores place in the box aren't going to last that long.

Prior to delivery, I would say the day you order the fish, check your water parameters and do a PWC..about 30% or so unless some parameters are a little off.

There are two ways to acclimate...drip method, which is better for things like corals and inverts, and the ye old "float the bag" method for fish. You can find both methods at LiveAquaria.com under acclimation.

Aquarium lights should remain off and even the room shoud be dim...maybe no lights..just window daylight during the acclimation process and for a few hours afterwards. This is supposed to 1. reduce the stress and 2. get the critters used to light again considering they have been in total dark for anywhere from 12- 24 hours, stuck inside a box that probably resembles a hurricane while they are in transit.

Acclimation Procedure for Aquatic Life: Welcoming Home New Arrivals

The drip method can take a while but it seems to work well. I have used both methods for fish and only the drip method for the inverts. My recommendation for the drip method, however, is to get a hose clamp rather than tying the knots. Makes life a little easier

Old 06-10-2011, 06:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What about stress chemicals?
Old 06-10-2011, 06:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Joyler
I have never ordered online...but I would think if you acclimate the fish properly, it would be better not to use chemicals...you run the risk of stressing them more...do you have a QT?
Old 06-10-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:29 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also I am setting up a 55g tank, how long should I wait to get snowflake clowns? I know they are damsel family and damsels can be used to cycle a tank.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codyheitmiller
Yes.
Ok well then I guess I would do acclimations according to the link then...when I do acclimations, I keep the lights off during, and then off for the rest of the day...let's them find hiding spaces in a less vulnerable situation...then the next day I introduce light usually by opening the blinds, then waiting a while, then turning the room light on, waiting, and then finally the tank light...maybe overkill...but it makes me feel better
Old 06-10-2011, 06:33 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, I like to avoid sunlight though due to algae.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:36 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Also I am setting up a 55g tank, how long should I wait to get snowflake clowns? I know they are damsel family and damsels can be used to cycle a tank.
Well I'm a freshie, but in any case, I would never use a fish to cycle a tank...a) it severely damages anatomical structures like gills...b) takes much longer, requires constant water changes (which in saltwater terms...means more expensive)! Plus if you are ordering this fish online...and drop it in an uncycled tank, even if you do a good job acclimating, the stress of travel followed directly by ammonia poisoning, would kill that poor thing lickity split!!
Old 06-10-2011, 06:37 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yeah, I like to avoid sunlight though due to algae.
I just meant for like 5-10 minutes...just so it gets natural light to adjust to, before a bright light right above it's head

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com