Fish Only - How long should I leave lights on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Packohotdogs

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi EVeryone,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I can't find any clear answers.

I have a Fluval Edge 12 Gallon. It has 39 LED's 7600K, and a moonlight mode also with 3 blue LEDs.

My question is how long should I leave the light on each day? All I currently have is 2 clowns with no live rock.

I usually have them on for 5-8 hours, and have the moonlight on for another hour or so before I go to bed.

Of note, I am upgrading soon, but just wanted to check on this set up.

Thanks in advance! (y)

8 hours is ok but just so you know with a fowlr you could run no lights if you wanted to. They are there for your pleasure more then theirs

If you don't leave the lights on at least 10 hours a day your fish will become depressed and most likely try to jump out of the aquarium and let's face it - fish suicide is no laughing matter. Although, truth be told I am totally kidding you. :)

I recently upgraded my lighting. Check out what popped up on my rocks!

image-1665965123.jpg

Attachments

• image-309788086.jpg
    image-309788086.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 171
I recently upgraded my lighting. Check out what popped up on my rocks!

Hi Soccerdude, I am pretty new with aquariums but I am managing to have mine alive for the time being. I also got this sort of living stuff on my live rocks. Do you have any reference online about them? I just would like to know more about it...I believe it is a good thing but I am not yet sure
Thanks!
Michele

Fish need to see exactly what they eat and so they need a reasonable amount of light. Some fish eat algae that grow when there is enough light. Algae in tank in some ways help reduce nitrates. Lastly, we want to see what we have in our tank to enjoy it.

May I ask why you don't have any rock? What so you use for filtration?

I have copule of rocks for now and as filter system I have a tetra auto power AX-30 paired with a tetra CX-30 to cool down the water
I have placed also a small powerhead
The aquarium is a 30l one

Puffers need night and day time cycles since their skin color and behavior is altered at night time for sleep mode. If your room light or light from a nearby window brightens up the whole room, then it can be considered day time light.

I'm not certain if this applies for other fish.

Back
Top Bottom