Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-19-2005, 03:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fish Picking

I'm SO undecided! I am having the worst time picking the fish for my tank. I really like the coloring of the Anthias. Particularly the bimaculatus and the lyretail (Ideally 2 lyretail and 1 bimaculatus).

I like the purple firefish but I REALLY like the Helfrich's Firefish.

Which of these fish would you choose and why?

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I got an orange fire fish and it's boring to watch, it's personality doesn't compare to my percs. Helfrichs is a very pretty fish and even tho it might be boring the coloring of the fish rocks, I would buy it if I could find one at a LFS for a resonable price. I would wait for the fish you really want. Nothing like getting a purple firefish and finding out a week later you could of picked up the Helfrichs.

klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had such a boring perc that I'm afraid to get another! It hung by the baffle ALL THE TIME. It was just no fun to watch. It didn't play with others, didn't get involved, etc. Just no fun. What are they supposed to be like?!

The last thing I want is a boring fish! Especially not an expensive boring fish! LOL!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
Old 04-19-2005, 03:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another consideration is that my maroon and my YT are both very bold fish. I don't want a timid fish because I don't think it will do well in my tank.

Old 04-19-2005, 04:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
Clowns are generally VERY UNSHY. You can put you face to the glass and they wil come right up to it. They swim around like crazy. You can tell they reallly want some food. ALL the time. Pigs...

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ive owned ocellaris and percs. IMO, they seem very inquisitive and curious. I like how they play in BTA. Sometimes they seem bored and other times they are darting back in forth between my BTA's for no reason I can tell.

You got a good size tank and have soooo many fish more options than I do. Check out how the fishes act and swim in a LFS display tank(show off tanks). I really enjoy watching the different personalities fishes have and how they interact with other fishes at LFS.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have two purple firefish'es. Bought them same time, same place. One always hide and one always out for food. The one who hides, it even runs away from food, until it smells it is food and comes back. By that time, food are almost gone by the YT and perc clown.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

a bi color angel is a bright fish mine is bursting with personality
Old 04-19-2005, 09:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most of the angels are not a good choice for reef tanks so I've been staying away from them. Merlot already tends to nip at some of the LPS. I don't want to take a chance with another nipper!

Old 04-20-2005, 01:32 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
Yellow tangs have good personalities but I do not have tanks large enough for one. I may get a firefish for my 38gallon eventually. Just because they look cool.

It is getting a pair of clowns (maybe O. or tomatoe) a royal gramma and a firefish and thats it.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com