Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2010, 02:59 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
What kind of "fish" is a chalice? lol
Woops! Haha! My mind had moved right past fish and right into corals! (Ive had corals on my mind lately)

They have decent prices on fish too. Got a strawbery baslet for $15 which seems to be right in line with everyone else. Healthy, FEISTY little fish! Immediately stood up for himself against my insane clowns...

They tend to be right in line with others or significantly less than others on select items. (Got a yellow sea cucumber for 7 bucks)

When it comes down to it though, you have to pay what they want. $35.00 shipping is alot more than a high priced LFS is going to jack up a fish to unless you buy a lot of items from an online vendor you trust.
Matt

Old 06-04-2010, 09:32 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Kevin,
Take a look at one of our new sponsors ReefCleaners.org for your snails. If you hurry you can play PacMan online and win a $50 gift certificate for the high score. Look for his thread.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok thanks guys for all the input. I also have a question about this stores live rock too. They charge 10 dollars a pound for live rock. Is this a good price?
Old 06-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

$10.00/lb is very high for live rock. Is it fully cured live rock?If so, then that sounds like a typical fish store. If you can afford a cycle in your tank, you can get live rock for $4.00 a lb or so. Fully cured live rock at my LFS is $6.00/lb. It is very sterile rock though, so no hitchhikers or corals or anything interesting.

Matt
Old 06-05-2010, 03:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I think im just going to have to drive the extra distance and go to another store. They seem to be high on everything
Old 06-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also consider the quality of your LFS products. If they have top notch animals, then that may be worth considering. I cant tell you how much it sucks to save $10.00 and have everything die for no apparent reason!

There is an online place I tried that had CHEAP animals and ALL have died just days after putting them in my tank. Who wants to save 50% but have the animal die days later? Complete BS!

Find a place you TRUST and stick with them even if it means paying 20% more than the average prices. Trust me, its worth it!

Matt
Old 06-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Most lfs sell LR for between $7 and $10 per pound. It depends on where the rock originated and how long they've been holdig (curing) it.
FYI, I just went to one lfs where coral frags were $45 - $89+. I then went to another lfs just a few miles from there (actually closer to home) and picked up 3 frags for $43.00. I had heard good things about this new (to me) lfs, but this was my first trip there.
So sometimes you just have to stop and check out new places.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is unrelated but has anyone ever kept some bangaii cardinals? Im thinking about starting my tank with a pair of those after my tank cycles
Old 06-10-2010, 10:39 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANLAWRENCE View Post
Okay went to a LFS today (really the only one close to me) and looked at fish prices. I had done some research on liveaquaria.com and had an idea of what fish costed (or so I thought). The prices seemed extremely high. Could I get your opinions on these prices?

Ocellaris Clownfish $40

Yellowtail Blue Damsel $12

Yellow Tang $50

Bangaii Cardinalfish $29.99

Do these prices seem high? these are the only fish i could remember
I shop at Petco and hear is what I paid:
2 Ocellaris Clownfish $30
Blue Damsels $3 each
Yellow tang I think I paid around $30

Yes they are over priced IMO
Old 06-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Smaller non-chain LFS's are going to be higher than the "big boys" out there. They are buying in much smaller quantities. IMO I would rather support the smaller LFS rather than the chain, the quality of the stock when it comes in and how it is cared for is much better and worth the extra $$. An O. Clown through ORA is going to be higher, check and see if you are looking at ORA clowns, they are captive bread and less likely to suffer from disease. Like anything else you do get what you pay for, for the most part.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com