Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fish Prices?

Okay went to a LFS today (really the only one close to me) and looked at fish prices. I had done some research on liveaquaria.com and had an idea of what fish costed (or so I thought). The prices seemed extremely high. Could I get your opinions on these prices?

Ocellaris Clownfish $40

Yellowtail Blue Damsel $12

Yellow Tang $50

Bangaii Cardinalfish $29.99

Do these prices seem high? these are the only fish i could remember

Old 06-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

WOW. Yeah those are high. Liveaquaria.com is a good tool (at least for my area) for pricing. I just bought 2 Bangaii Cardinals for $15 a pop. Yellow tangs usually run $20-$30 in my area (Daytona Beach Florida). Depending on where you live though, the farther inland you are the more expensive fish are going to be.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

The prices are really good on liveaquaria.com, but the shipping is outrageous. 2 marron clowns for $50, plus 34.99 for shipping !!??!! no thanks, i'll drive an hour for a total of $50
Old 06-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
is back to save the day!

Ocellaris SHOULD go for less than 20$.. but i think it really all depends. If they are aquacultured, meaning tank raised, then they will run you a bit more $$. But if they are wild caught i'm pretty sure they will be considerably less. I bought my two ocellaris for 13$ a piece lol. So they were pretty cheap.. Don't know the prices of the other two because i've never had any interest in them.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok yeah I think i will be visiting another fish store
Old 06-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

All my LFS, even the ones that aren't so local have Ocellaris clowns for no less than $27. The Tomatos, Maroons and Clarkiis are usually around $19-$25. I'm assuming the popularity of the Ocellaris are boosting the prices a tad. I want some black and white Ocellaris so bad, but not $47 a piece bad.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Remember to factor in the cost of shipping when comparing lfs price to an online retailer. Often the lfs is similar or cheaper. Also with an lfs you see what you're getting, and can see if the fish eats before buying (make sure to do this).
Add to the reduced stress of not being shipped and all of a sudden the lfs prices aren't that bad.

Kevin, where are you buying your livestock?
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:24 AM   #8
is back to save the day!

Well, i bought my Ocellaris clownfish at a really local pet shop that just happens to sell a small amount of various saltwater fish. It's a nice place too.. they take care of all their fish. It's called, Planet Pets and Hobby World. As for the rest of my livestock, i buy from allquatics, which is in Hamilton, NJ 08610. Great place and great livestock. Plan to go there to get snails and inverts when my tank is finished cycling and ready for a CUC. Possibly buy a fish there too if they have the one im looking for and it looks good.

But the rest of the stuff i plan to buy online. Coralmorphologic, bluezooaquatics, and a couple other coral vendors. liveaquaria has too expensive shipping.. otherwise i would buy from them.. a lot.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:57 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

liveaquaria is about the same as the others arent they? Seems the average is $35.00 to ship. Some places offer free shipping for in state stuff or if you buy a lot from them.

I agree that those prices are crazy though. My LFS is really cheap compared to everyone else. I could have had a nice looking full 4in diameter chalice colony for $20 but I just dont have the room.

Matt
Old 06-04-2010, 02:48 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of "fish" is a chalice? lol

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com