Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-03-2003, 01:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to deejay
fish problems

I started out with 2 clarkiis, niger trigger and a half-black angel. They did fine and then I added a yellow tang, blue eyed tang and a lunar wrasse. My is goin crazy. The fins of the clowns and angels and not bad looking but you can tell they go after them. I see the wrasse chase them some and then I see the trigger do it too. Does this mean I should send the wrasse and trigger back? I've had the tank 6 months and had the trigger that long, but the wrasse about 2-3 weeks. I would like to get coral and live stuff, but I can't because of those two. Would my take be better off without the wrasse and trigger? The trigger is going anyways, cause I don't like that fish, he limits me to things.

Old 12-03-2003, 01:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to deejay
I should also add I have a 75 gallon tank.

Old 12-03-2003, 05:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi,

All triggers are terrors unless they are place in a tank with other fishes larger then them. You should see which fish is chasing and stressing your fish. If your trigger is the root to your problem you have two option: one get rid of him or get another tank for trigger and other monsters. Let me know how you are doing with your tank.
I have in a 65 gallon tank (2) triggers (2)lionfish (1) eel each fish is over 6" long, but every keeps away from eachother until lunch time when they go crazy.

Good Luck!
Old 12-03-2003, 06:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

usually when fish are first introduced they will spat a little to establish territories and a pseudo "pecking order". Moving around rocks in the tank can sometimes lessen this as each fish will essentially start from scratch, without having a favorite hole to defend.

"I would like to get coral and live stuff, but I can't because of those two. "

Although Niger triggers are among the most docile of triggers, i would be very leary aboout adding corals to a tank with them. The coral will more than likely become a very expensive "snack" for him.

If you have two tanks you might consider one for your more aggressive species and one for the more calm.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

2 clarkiis = 6" + niger trigger = 5" + half-black angel = 4" + yellow tang = 5" + blue eyed tang? = 5" + lunar wrasse = 10" for a total of 35 inches. In a 75 gallon that is 2G per inch, you should only have 15" (5G per inch) or 18 (4G per fish) inch of ADULT fish. Only 1 tang in a 75G. The Trigger is a hit and miss in a reef so is the Angelfish, the trigger & lunar are not invert safe. The lunar wrasse gets big and aggressive also. Not sure of what the blue eyed tang is, so I put 5". Hope this helps, you decide what to keep and take back.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com