Fish Reccommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey All,

Click My Info Button for what I'm working with.

What fish addition do you recommend? Every time I go to the LFS they always seem to suggest fish that never live past a month, are too big for my tank, or are not hardy.

I am sick of buying $50 fish that die a month later with no sign of sickness, or any reason, they just up and die.

My Tank specs are perfect. The only thing I am fighting is Calcium.

Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, Phosphate 0, PH 8.2-8.4, dKH 12, Calcium 280-320 (I have a hard time with this test kit, as the Final Color is not even close to the color printed on the instructions)

Everything that is in my 55g tank now is happy and growing. My 3 Soft corals are all growing, as are my 2 Clown fish, and 1 Watchman Goby.

Thanks for the help,

-TheChad

Does your LFS tell you when they got the fish? Mine posts the arrival dates of each fish on the tank they are in. I never buy a fish that has just arrived. stress from shipping and then acclimating and then acclimating again is rough. I lost a cleaner wrasse that way and I won't ever do it again. That could be the problem...just my thoughts

It might be worth investigating why the fish are dying in only a month. If water parameters are good, turn your attention to feeding and species. What fish have you lost?

As far as additions, you have many great and hardy options. A royal gramma, sixline wrasse, purple firefish or a school of 3-5 chromis would be nice.

Calcium 280-320 (I have a hard time with this test kit, as the Final Color is not even close to the color printed on the instructions)

I'd get this sorted out. Despite Ca being more of an invert (coral) issue, this concerns me. What do you do to keep Ca levels & pH up?

Ziggy953 said:
Does your LFS tell you when they got the fish? Mine posts the arrival dates of each fish on the tank they are in. I never buy a fish that has just arrived. stress from shipping and then acclimating and then acclimating again is rough. I lost a cleaner wrasse that way and I won't ever do it again. That could be the problem...just my thoughts

Yeah My LFS Keeps a log of all their fish, and the Owner wont sell any of the fish untill they have been there for a week+ and has been cleared by himself personally.

lando said:
It might be worth investigating why the fish are dying in only a month. If water parameters are good, turn your attention to feeding and species. What fish have you lost?

As far as additions, you have many great and hardy options. A royal gramma, sixline wrasse, purple firefish or a school of 3-5 chromis would be nice.

I feed 1 cube of Mysis Shrimp over the period of 1 day. I feed about 1/2 the cube in the morning, and 1/2 the cube in the evening.

The Fish I've lost were 1x Watchman Goby, 3x Copper Banded Butterfly's, 1x Naso Tang, 2x Algae Blennie.

The Watchman goby May have died of starvation, he was skinny, and then stopped eating and died. Why? Not sure. I wated a few months and have purchased another watchman goby, who is doing great, he is eating EVERYTHING, including Algae off the rocks and glass, sifting the sand corner to corner of the tank, and has grown since introducing him to the tank.

The 3 Copper Banded Butterfly's all got Ich in QT, but all had recovered from Ich, showing no signs for several weeks, looked great one day, was dead the next.

The Naso Tang was in the tank about 3-4 weeks, and looked like he was doing fine, Was swiming around eating one day, the next was hiding under a rock, laying against the rock/sand, that evening died.

The 2 algae blennies, the first died a few days after I got him, So probably stress? The 2nd lasted a little over 1 month, was eating well, and looked good the night before, next day, was dead.

As for the Chromis's I purchased 3 of them for my QT tank to keep the tank cycled in between fish purchased, and the slightly bigger one, killed the 2 slightly smaller ones, by chasing them away when feeding, and eventually they died. I am told the 1 still living is a Female because of this action. She is still in my QT tank by herself.

squawkbert said:
Calcium 280-320 (I have a hard time with this test kit, as the Final Color is not even close to the color printed on the instructions)

I'd get this sorted out. Despite Ca being more of an invert (coral) issue, this concerns me. What do you do to keep Ca levels & pH up?

I was using A powdered Calcium Suppliment, but my calcium would never go up. I then started using Purple-Up Instead, and still no increase. My LFS tested my magnesium and said it was at 199, they said it's suppose to be 4x my Calcium level. So they suggested using Seachem Reef Complete, which is a Liquid Calcium, Magnesium, and strontium.

They also suggested using Kent's RO Prep with my PWC to restore missing minerals from using RO/DI water. So Right now I am using Those 2 items. I have SeaChem's Reef Buffer 8.2 which works really good, I used it many months ago when my PH would never go about 7.8, But in the last few months, my PH never goes below 8.2.

roka64 said:
How big are your crabs?

Not Real Big. My Biggest are the Zebra Hermit's and they are about as big as a small margarita Snail, Cus those are the shells they are cruzing around in. Maybe the size of a dime, or nickel..

Thanks All,

-TheChad

As for fish unfortunately the copperband and Naso were not good choices for a 55g in the first place. I have been at this for years and have never had luck with a copperband. The Naso simply requires a much larger tank.

How long has your tank been up and running? It in not uncommon for a tank to go through spikes in the first 6 months.

Assuming all is well with the tank some favorites I would consider include:

Yellow Tang (probably the only tang that can go in a 55g)
Dwarf Angel (coral Beauty)
Six Line wrasse

I have had success with all these. I would not consider more than 2 of the above with your current stocking.

Good Luck,

Afilter makes a good points. The copperband is probably my absolute favorite fish, but due to the stories I have heard I have not gotten one. I agree wit the yellow tang, a great fish hardy and will do well in your 55. I have a coral beauty in my tank and like it, you could consider a flame angel instead of the coral beauty, both are about the same size. I don't know much about the six line other then it is a nice looking fish. IMO a royal gramma is a excellent addition, good natured and a very nice looking fish. I also agree with Lando, a nice group of green chromis add interest to the tank also....HTH

afilter said:
As for fish unfortunately the copperband and Naso were not good choices for a 55g in the first place. I have been at this for years and have never had luck with a copperband. The Naso simply requires a much larger tank.

How long has your tank been up and running? It in not uncommon for a tank to go through spikes in the first 6 months.

Assuming all is well with the tank some favorites I would consider include:

Yellow Tang (probably the only tang that can go in a 55g)
Dwarf Angel (coral Beauty)
Six Line wrasse

I have had success with all these. I would not consider more than 2 of the above with your current stocking.

Good Luck,

Everyone told me about the copperband's but, I thought I'll spend more time, and go the extra mile to take care of him, and that'll make him live, Unfortunitly, that isn't enough. Also I've seen several of them at the LFS that a few that were larger stayed at the LFS for months, and always looked awesome, I KNOW my tank is better kept than theirs, So why would he not survive in my tank? I guess only god can answer that..

As for the tank, its about 14 months old now.

The Coral Beauty, and Flame Angel, Both pretty fish were listed as Reef safe with caution, so I was cautious about putting them into my tank, as my soft corals are doing great, and I don't want to risk loosing them.

Even the Yellow Tang is listed for a 100g tank. I was trying to stay away from the yellow tang as almost everyone has a yellow tang. I just like to be a little different. I actually fancy the Powder Blue Tang, which has the same 100g tank requirement as the yellow tang according to LiveAquaria. ..and I'm sure there's something about the Power Blue Tang that would prevent me from getting it, as there always is on the fish I really like.

I'd have to say that's by far the most dissapointing thing about this hobby, seeing all the beautiful fish, especially in the small LFS tanks, and thinking "That fish is awesome, My tank is 2x the size of this LFS tank, He'll Love it!" Just to find out that 80% of these fish have some special requirements, weather it be a huge tank, or doesn't get along with anything else, or special feeding, etc.

Then you really get pissed off when you watch Discovery Channel and there is a special on about Reef's and you see all the awesome fish you liked in the LFS that can't be in the same tank, or arn't suppose to be with corals, etc All living happy together in the ocean.

-TheChad

Love PBT, had one for about 9 months. They do require a lot of space. IMO they are one of the more difficult fish to keep as they are very ich prone. I have since moved on to a Purple tang which is awesome.

As for the YT you are correct LA does now say 100g. It used to be 50g. I think you would be OK. There is a reason everyone has one, they are a hardy fish.

There is a risk with any angel. I have had a CB from the start and it has never bothered any of my coral, but that does not mean the next one would not.

If you are into unique have you ever considered a dwarf lion. Depending on the size of your clowns and watchman this might be an option. I have one in my 90g reef and absolutely love it. Has not bothered any other inhabitants. The key is to start out with a juvenial that is eating frozen foods at LFS.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=227

Others to consider would be cardinals:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=82

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=85

Which are very peaceful and reef compatible.

The royal gramma is another hardy reef fish:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=53

As mentioned before I do not think you can go wrong with a six line for color and activity:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=375

Otherwise firefish make good reef inhabitants as well both red and purple:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=168

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=171

Not with a lion of course. :)

HTH,

was trying to stay away from the yellow tang as almost everyone has a yellow tang.
That is because they are less demanding than all the others. They are least likely develope disease due to cramped conditions, water quality issues, and/or a less than ideal diet. Beautiful fish none the less IMO.
I'd have to say that's by far the most dissapointing thing about this hobby, seeing all the beautiful fish, ...Just to find out that 80% of these fish have some special requirements,.
While that is true in some cases, there are still many options available these days. Look around online, that may provide more choices.
Then you really get *beep* off when....you see all the awesome fish you liked in the LFS that can't be in the same tank, or arn't suppose to be with corals, etc All living happy together in the ocean.
You'll never recreate the ocean in an aquarium. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom