Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2003, 11:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fish Selection

Hi
I have a 30 gal tank, and so far i have

-firefish
-purple firefish
-bi-color bleeny
-algae bleeny
- saddled toby (valentini puffer)
-percula clown

I was just wondering if they would get along together. i haven't had them in there together for very long, i am especially worried about the two bleenys. There is rockwork in my tank and i was wondering if the two can tolerate each other? Also would it be safe to finish my tank off with a flame angel?? Please tell me what you guys think.

Old 02-25-2003, 01:37 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to aimeovaldi
First, how much Live Rock is in the tank, what kind of filtration and skimmer is used. The bioload is about at it's limit and an angel ges large. I wouldn't add anything else. How long has the tank been up and running?

Old 02-25-2003, 10:21 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
The bioload is about at it's limit and an angel ges large. I wouldn't add anything else.
I totaly agree with this. IMO the tank may be overstocked. As for the blennies...typically if the algae blenny is going to give the other problems it will happen immediately. I don't think you'll have a problem there. The fire fish may start to fight as time goes on and they become mature, but maybe you got lucky and got a male and a female. The puffer might cause issues latter on as well, they are messy eater and have been known to munch on LR, they are also known for sneaking up on slewping fish and CHOMP! I do not know if these habits are also carried by the smaller puffers, but I would keep my eye out...

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 01:19 PM   #4

Thanks for the help i have roughly 20 30 lbs of live rock. My tank has been running for a few months now although i recently added the puffer and the algae blenny. So far all the fish seem to get along fine and i see now problems. I am a little concerned that my fish are overstocked though. I have a regular whisper filter and a red sea hang on protein skimmer. I also have an internal filter. So what do you guys think? Think it will be ok?
Old 02-25-2003, 06:55 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Quote:
I also have an internal filter
What kind of filter is this?
Quote:
I have a regular whisper filter
Don't think you need this other than for water circulation. You can just take the filter pad out and let it run that way.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:39 PM   #6

I have a fluval internal filter
As for the whisper filter why should i take out the filter pad??? It works fine the way it is now.
And for my 30 gal i have new fish in there along with the 20-30lbs of live rock.
The fish i have in there right now are
-bi-color blenny
-firefish
-purple firefish
-flame angel
-valentini puffer
Think it is still over crowded??
I am thinking of getting some Nassarius Snails and a few Cerith Snails to handle the fish waste and left over food at the bottom of the tank, i was wondering if the puffer would pick on or even eat the snails???
Old 02-26-2003, 02:22 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Quote:
i have roughly 20 30 lbs of live rock. My tank has been running for a few months now
This should be sufficient to handle the bio load of a 30 gal tank, although yours is soon to be overcrowded as soon as you angel and puffer grow larger.
The problem with mechanical filtration is it collects debris (doing what it is designed to do) and then constantly recirculates your water through it. As it rots it adds to the bio load. Unless you are extremely faithful in changing your filter media, this is what will occur. The whisper filter pad is useful for short periods of activated charcoal use but little else. Removing the filter pad will keep you from recirculating your water through rotting food and poop.
Since you may not have quite enough bio mass in the 20-30 lbs of LR for your bioload, I would suggest removing the mechanical filter material (which I think your internal filter has) from your fluval and replace it with some bioballs or similar media to help with the bioload.
Quote:
I am thinking of getting some Nassarius Snails and a few Cerith Snails to handle the fish waste and left over food at the bottom of the tank, i was wondering if the puffer would pick on or even eat the snails???
Your puffer will probably eat them. If you get some sand for your substrate, it will become populated by detritus munching worms to help rid your tank of uneaten food and fish waste.
Of course there is more than one way to run a reef tank but in mine, there is no mechanical filtration, even in the puffer tank (which has a sand bed).
Old 02-26-2003, 04:34 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Try using the fish load calculator on the main page to figure a approximation of how much fish should be in a 30 gallon. More mechanical filtration will not allow you to up your fish load. However more live rock and a good skimmer will help some. And yes, I do agree, you tank is a little on the crowded side.

Tags
fish selection

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com