Fish stocking ideas for my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdjxt39

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok while I am waiting for the ich to cycle out of my display tank I wanted to toss out my ideas for stocking so I can get your feedback :).

- Purple Firefish
- 2 onyx clowns (mated pair hopefully)
- Wrasse (Either a fairy wrasse or a harlequin tusk)

I have read that harlequin tusk will not harass corals but will definitely munch on your clean up crew. Is it possible to run the tank without the clean up crew if I toss in a harlequin tusk? Also will the tusk harass the clowns and the firefish?

I've never owned a Tusk but from what I understand they can be rater agressive, so I'd add it last to your tank.

Going without a clean up crew at all is going to be a lot of work, especially with algae. If you are prepared to deal with it though, I don't see a reason why you can't forgo a clean up crew.

If it were my tank, I'd go with the fairy wrasse instead.

Going without a clean up crew is difficult but not impossible with excellent filtration (high quality skimmer) and good water movement. Keeping your no3/po4 at 0 ppm is key to an algae free tank. I wouldn't worry about the Tusk and clowns but the Firefish is not aggressive enough to house with the Tusk.

As Lindsay mentioned a fairy wrasse would be a better mix with the current fish you are considering.

What current stock to you have now? Are you providing an nh3 source to the tank while you are waiting out the ich to keep the bacteria going?

I have been feeding the tank some pellet food every 3 days or so, and when I do a weekly water change I use Cycle to toss in some beneficial bacteria.

Anything else I should do to keep the bacteria alive?

Back
Top Bottom