fish store salinity lower than my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm doing a water change this evening. I always test the lfs salinity while I'm heating up the water. My stores water is always the same as my tank water...1.025. I took out my 20% water for cleaning and before I put in the new water, I tested it and it was 1.023. Will this difference bother my fish

thanks...thought it wouldn't hurt but I wanted to check first...Fish are waiting for their new water...lol

It is an easy solution to this, as you never truly know what one tank's parameters are when moving a new fish into your tank. Drip acclimation. A lengthy one, say 1-2 hour, can adjust any livestock to your new system. Then you can avoid adding any water from other tanks as well, who knows what is in it. Maybe even a life stage of ich. Who knows? It is always best practice to keep things simple and under your control in terms of what you add to your tank.

I'm doing a water change this evening. I always test the lfs salinity while I'm heating up the water. My stores water is always the same as my tank water...1.025. I took out my 20% water for cleaning and before I put in the new water, I tested it and it was 1.023. Will this difference bother my fish

Are you saying your fish are in 1.023 water and you want to get them back up to 1.025? I don't understand what is being asked. Are you adding new fish? If your fish are already in 1.023 that's not a big deal. Just top off with saltwater instead of fresh for the next couple days to get it back to 1.025.

Jk I see you're doing a water change via lfs rodi water. Got it haha wow I was confused. That won't lower your water enough to really bother the fish.

sorry...was out for a while and noticed all the replies. yes...only a pwc. no new fish and the water was pre made at my lfs. Just checked the salinity and you were right..only lowered the salinity to 1.024..thanks

That'll show me to try to post and work at the same time. I think everything is fine with what you were posting about. Salinity can fluctuate in small amounts without issues as long it stays in an acceptable range. Don't go above 28 and stay above 24. I personally keep my tank at 1.026-1.027, more because it always seems to measure out to that without adding more water...but I hope you get the idea at this point.

I personally wouldn't trust lfs water. You need to get some of their straight rodi water and test it for tds, most never change the filters when they should, you lose control of 90% of you reef without yr own water

Back
Top Bottom