Fish that keep my sand clean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mo8cinco

Aquarium Advice Regular
Are there any fish that I can buy that will help keep my sand clean??

are you looking for an actual fish or just something to keep your sand clean? nassarius snails are the most common but you can also get some hermit crabs and they have a sand sifting starfish.

I wouldn't mind a sand sifting fish ether, what star fish sifts sand also? If you have any info let me kbow

In my opinion i think my engineer gobie does a good job turning sand.

My Diamond goby is a machine! It never stops gulp'n and sift'n sand. it's constantly go'n to town.

Sand sifting starfish usually slowly die of starvation in home aquariums. IMO nassarius snails are one of the best sand cleaners for the money. I have some rather large bristle worms that do an excellent job. The gobies mentioned are excellent choices for fish but if you have corals they do seem to spit some out on the ones closest to the bottom.

How big is your tank and what type of fish do you already have?

I also have bumblebee snails and they dig deep and clean the sand. Every once in a while I'll see their little noses stick'n out of the sand. And I have a dwarf horseshoe crab (that's what I think he's called anyway) and he burrows all along the tank bottom through the sand. Not sure what he eats but I've had him for 2 years and he keeps the sand aerated.

golden headed goby!!! my favorite fish in the tank by far. Great fun to watch and ever since i added him he keeps my sand spic and span

I also have bumblebee snails and they dig deep and clean the sand. Every once in a while I'll see their little noses stick'n out of the sand. And I have a dwarf horseshoe crab (that's what I think he's called anyway) and he burrows all along the tank bottom through the sand. Not sure what he eats but I've had him for 2 years and he keeps the sand aerated.

bumblebee snails aren't good from what i have read ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Bad Snails

The best sand sifter in the buisness IMO. The bullet goby

bulletgoby.jpg

I think ur looking for a clean up crew! Lol but some good cuc's include gobies

Back
Top Bottom