fish transfer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greatgman

Aquarium Advice Freak
heres something i am doing that might interest some of you finnheads

for my fish transportation (from lfs to home)
i use a 1 gallon cooler
yes
a 1 gallon drink cooler (new of course)
the reasons are :
1 a rigid container (so the fish wont get stressed out if the bag collapses)
2 insulated (especially in the colder months) - fish taken from the comfy tank, to a bag that goes out of the lfs to the cold outdoors, to the car warmed up, to the outside to home, into the home then acclimating.
3 dark (to further keep them from stressing out)

you could also put an air line into the sip hole attached to an airstone and a battery powered pump

tell me your opinions on this ok?

Sounds good. How do you accimate then, just drip into the cooler? During the winter I have used a styrofoam cooler to put the bags in.

what i do is drip into the cooler till its 3/4 full then put in a 5 gal bucket for the rest of the acclimation
so far so good

I use a little cooler also for transportation of livestock and I always have the cooler in the car just incase I decided to visit the fishstore.

Sounds good, I may start using this as well. Bags are never that trustworthy and I hate it when a new LFS employee starts to write in marker on the bag. When I was a newbie in FW I killed some fish by floating a bag with marker on it that came off.

Thanks for the idea,

I am planning to do this when I get my fish, espcially since local temps will soon have lows in the single digit range. Are you using something more vertical than wide to prevent sloshing during the transport?

I would not worry about the airline unless you have a very long drive home.

Most LFS put air in the bag when you buy. You can go for hours with that. Also, ask the lfs to double bag your purchases too. That's killing two birds. First, you get something not as likely to puncture. Second, when they mark the price, it's on the outside bad. So floating the inner bag that doesn't have the marker on it will make it better.

Yeah, I agree on the double bagging to avoid marker toxins and most automatically do this, but occassionally you run across some that do not.

Just wanted to put it out there for any inexperienced in the hobby so they do not have to learn the hard way.

Back
Top Bottom