Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
fish vs. fishless reef....

First off I am not new to fishkeeping, I had a 55 and 75 gallon freshwater for several years with a variety of fish. About 8 months ago I switched over to saltwater and currently have a 10 Gallon reef tank. its been running for around 6 months. i have a few random soft corals and polyps and such, roughly 13 pounds of liverock. And up until yesterday a small damsel. i have had many problems with hair algae lately and recently started using distilled water. Ive always had nitrate spikes and then evertying goes to normal and randomly i have another spike and had constant nitrates at 20 ppm (everything else was normal). My corals havent been looking too good lately they have been shrinkingin size girth and even being open. I was wondering what else could be causing it... possibly i need to get a new bulb?

dudeinvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:22 AM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Welcome to AA. A few questions first. What type lighting? Were you using tap water? What exactly is in your tank as far as corals? How often are you doing PWC`s?

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
Mike offers some great questions. Your NO3 source is coming from somewhere. Given the fact that you have a small bio-lad (in terms of fish) I would turn attention toward food, feeding schedule, source water (for top-offs and water changes) and maintanance routeen.

GHA is ussually a sign of excess nutrients in the water. Check for PO4 in both your tank and source water. Again, evaluate what and when you feed the tank. I suggest using a high quality source water and doing several partial water changes to help with NO3/PO4 issues. As far as the GHA goes...try removing as much as you can manually during the water changes. It is likely your corals are reacting to the PO4 rather then the NO3.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
thanks for your help guys, i took a sample to the lfs to do a more sufficient water check. PH was really low and they gave me a buffer, thanks again for the help
dudeinvb is offline   Reply With Quote

fishless, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com