fish waste? problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stuquarium

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey everyone.

my tanks going well. my 1st marine experiance is turning into a good one. i have a questions though regarding fish waste, and substrate vacing.

fig1. to me looks like the build up for fish waste yes?
fishwaste1.jpg

fig2. again a whole pile of it? is one of the fish collecting it?
fishwaste2.jpg

i know your not suppose to gravel vac marine tanks but what am i supose to do about this what looks to be fish waste issue, carefully gravel vac? or will something living feed off of this? i've got 3 turbo snails in my tank but they are focusing on the algae..

what should i do ?

what size is your tank. Get a bigger cleaning crew. You can vacuum the top layer of sand (you do have sand right?) about 1/2 inch down. Don't go much deeper than that. Some nassarious snails, sand sifting stars, sand sifting gobies, pistol shrimp are all good critters to have to move th sand around and keep it clean.

yeah its a crushed coral... i'll give surface a going over when i do the next water change..

thanks haus.

if anyone else has any imput buy all means add to this thread

How big is the cc. I have cc :x and I vacuum right to the bottom, but I have big cc, about 5mm +. If it's small like sand only do the top.

its a mixture if mediums size peices and small/fine sand.

so yeah i guess thats it.
as the photos show it kind of looks like rice..

Looks like snail poop to me.... Any crabs..
A SS star is NOT a good idea for CC, or for any tank after reading about them. If you have CC then you will want to vac the tank on a monthly basis, particles will get trapped in the CC and break down into nitrates over time.

Back
Top Bottom