Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-01-2005, 02:51 PM   #1
Fish with personality?

I have a 75 gal SW with some hermit crabs & 2 turbo snails. Currently have a foxface and am removing a bird wrasse (Big mistake adding him to the tank... thanks to my LFS!)

We want some pretty fish to watch (front swimmers) and some fish with personality. We really like Tangs (Naso Blonde, Regal or Sailfin) and have seen a beautiful maroon clown. Not sure if we need anything special for the clown though. Also saw a beautiful Koran Angel.

Will any of these go together??

I don't want all small fish like gobies, but wouldn't mind a pair of something small with a few (2 or 3) medium fish. Someone suggested jawfish, but they seem to stay hidden. I want some fish we can enjoy watching.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Unfortuantely Tangs need quite a bit of swimming room... you may be able to get by with the Regal for a while... but eventually it will outgrow your 75 gallon. Koran Angels need about 150 gallons and require a special diet... I wouldn't recomend them. The maroon clown is one of the more aggressive clowns. I enjoy firefish, dwarf angels, and true percula clowns

fishfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 02:58 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Midas blenny.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 03:01 PM   #4
Do you need anything special to keep a clown? We do not have any reef or corals.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
You dont need anything special to keep a clown. They are pretty hardy and are also very interesting and fun to watch. I had a maroon clown and he was one of the best fish I ever had(until my eel ate him). He wasnt aggressive at all to my other fish and I think that they are usually only aggressive toward other clowns. I also think that blue/green chromis's are great fish. They are not that colorful but they are always swimming around and they even make the more docile fish become more active. Also they are not very expensive and they tend to school when you have more than one.
jmmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 04:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Look at a royal gramma or a pruple firefish. Both like to be out in the open and have great coloring.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 10:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
I'd stay away from Tangs and large angels. Do you have any LR? If so you could get dwarf angels. Most are very hardy, but LR is great for them to graze on.
29g FOWLR- 2 Percula Clowns
2 Emerald Mithrax Crab, 5 Nassarius Snails, 3 Astrea Snails, 1 mexican turbo snails, 1 Chocolate Chip Star, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, and 27lbs of LR 2lbs tonga branch and 25lbs fiji rock

Maiden's Hair, Calerpa, and Red Kelp macro algae.
X the Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 02:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
Try a Coral Beauty... a beautiful fish. Mine is one of my favorite fish. He is always visible and moving around the tank and he plays well with others.

* John *
46 gal Bowfront
36 inch Coralife 192 watt Lunar Aqualight with a 10K & Actinic
1 Emperor 280 Bio-Wheel Filter
2 Hagen Aquaclear 802 Powerheads with Quick Filters
1 AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
1 200 watt Heater
52 pounds of Live Rock
2 Blue/Green Chromis
1 Ocelaris Clownfish
1 Hairy Mushroom Coral
1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
8 Dwarf Hermit Crabs
10 Turbo Snails
10 Margarita Snails
5 Cerith Snails
5 Bumblebee Snails
1 Queen Conch
johnd4g is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Auriga | High Alk »