Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Fishless Cycle (shrimp)

So i started working at a LFS by my house. Only like the third day i have worked there and i'm trying to learn all about freshwater since i have always been salt. My manager was talking to me about the fish that he normally recommends for cycling tanks. At this point in the conversation i asked him why he didn't use a fishless cycle with raw unseasoned shrimp and i thought he was going to *deficate* a brick. He went off about how dangerous that is because there were bacteria and i think he said parasite and protazoan eggs that could be on the shrimp that once they get in your tank would just do all of these terrible things. I've always cycled my tanks with shrimp and i know many of you here have as well. So the question is, have any of you had problems with this method and do any of you know if any of what he said it true?

I personally don't belive that for a second. If there were that many bad things in the shrimp that are ment for human consumption it seems that someone would be getting sick or bad things would be happening. I also didn't see how even if that was true that it would be any worse then all the possible things that could travel into a tank on the fish that he was going to use to cycle with. These are just my thoughts though i don't have anything to back them up with.

Any proof of either side of the issue?

Old 01-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ahhh... the "it'll poison your tank" argument. I've heard that one too.

I suppose theoretically he's right - there can be some nasties on the shrimp that would normally be killed when it's cooked for food. But I don't see that as being any different that the nasties that fish/corals/inverts/live rock will bring in. Same ocean, same nasties.

But to answer your question, I've never had a problem with it, and have not had any disease in my main tank... knock on wood.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to buddha_red
things change slowly in aquarium world. Accepted practices take a while to spread but luckily we are seeing more and more convert to a fishless cycle. I don't buy for a second that there is anything wrong with a raw shrimp used as an ammonia source. yes something could be on the shrimp, but its unlikely.

I have read hundreds of posts and not once have i heard of any infections taking place because of it. I cannot say the same for ICH and velvet.

I do not have any fancy facts or figures but i do know that during a nitrogen cycle, toxic chemicals are produced then converted into less toxic chemicals. There is no escaping that. I personally do not want my fish breathing that and if i can avoid it, that's exactly what i will do. good for you standing up for the updated practices of our hobby..
buddha_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm doing what i can but i can't really argue with him much because i have only been working there a couple of days.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

as the saying goes

Nothing in aquariums is fast, that includes information.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
Sliced Bread

What's he say about using a pure ammonia source? I've cycled all my tanks in this manner.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah i asked about that two and he seemed to think that it was an ok idea but insisted that as soon as the tank finishes cycling you have to add your fish. his quote was "add your fish like that day or it was all for nothing". which is silly because the bacteria won't die in one day. But he also mentioned that he just wasn't interested in fishless cycling as much because he thought that his customers wouldn't be patient enough to do it. That may be true but it seems like we could at least try to convince people to do it the right way. He seems very stuck in his ways from what i can tell.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's true that most want a tank NOW, all you can do is try. We help who we can
Old 01-28-2009, 11:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
...He seems very stuck in his ways from what i can tell.
Probably so, but just remember who runs/manages the shop if you need the job.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:49 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Well, for one, if you are using a SW shrimp, I highly doubt any type of SW parasites and protazoan eggs would even survive in a FW tank, not to mention the ammonia levels.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, fishless, fishless cycle, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com