fitting in a sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jay917

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gallon tank that is already established. I have a tank that i was going to use for a sump. The problem is it doesnt fit under my stand. The lengh of the tank is too long as it wont clear going in by at most 3 inches. So i was wondering if theres a way to clear the sump. Theres a backing to stand so i was wondering if i cut maybe like a 3-4 inch strip out of it so i can fit in the tank. My tank is solid oak but do u think the stand would not be strong enough without a strip of the backing?

Bear... I think he wants to put the sump through the back by taking out the center back brace. And if this is the case... I would say 100% NO if the tank is still full. Stands are made only strong enough to hold the weight of the tank and water. Some from LFS's stands aren't even strong enough to hold even that much :roll:

There are ways to reinforce the inside so you don't have a center brace, but you need to be handy with tools, and you'd have to drain your tank first. If you want it in there that badly... drain the tank like you would be going to move it, take the tank off the stand, and carefully take the brace off. Depending on the stand that you have, this may be easy, it might not be. But at the end of the day... you want that brace back in before you fill the main tank back up! Don't attempt under any circumstances to do this with a filled tank... too risky for the rewards IMO.

I read once where a guy braced the tank and the removed the piece so he could get the sump in. Maybe try to slide in on the side. Some repair would be in order but could be done.

Definately support the before removing a part of the stand. I would not know how to do it but I read about it once :wink:

Do you have enough access in the back to put the tank in from the back. You mush have the tank away from the wall alot. I would some how brace the stand before you attempt it. Are you talking about the brace in the center back that goes vertically up and down? Or do you mean like a plywood backing in the back? if theres a backing like that you should be able to cut that out without any consecuence.

This sounds awful risky to me. You may be able to temporarily brace it and repair it but I'd hate to come home from work one day later to find out that the display tank has come crashing down creating the biggest mess you've ever seen. Safer to just get out your classified ads and find a nice, smaller, used tank that you can fit underneath.

Back
Top Bottom