Fixing green hair algae issues?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright so here's the deal. I was convinced when I started my 25g nano reef that I didn't need a skimmer. My tank was clean and clear then one day green hair algae exploded in my tank and now it covers everything. So I made sme changes to my tank. I got a reef octopus bh-1000 to skim I thought that would handle the problem. Needless to say if that worked I wouldnt be writing this. So I then added a high quality phosphate removing product pura phoslock. That lowered my phosphates down but there's still so much green hair algae and I don't know how to get rid of it. It has stopped Growing but there's still algae all over the rocks my cut for algae consist of 7 scarlet hermits. I had been using a koralia 750 for a Pump but am picking up a new mp10esw tomorrow so the tanks flow will be MUCH better and I'm sure this will help by keeping the debris from setteling on the rock.

What are my options? I can't remove my rock to clean it because corals are binding the rock together. I have been reading about sea hares that they destroy algae quickly maybe that's a good option?

My phosphates test at .25

Are you using RO water? You are probably introducing phosphate into the system. Certain salt mixes do that as well.

You can manually remove with tweezers. I personally got a emerald crab, but that's not the only solution.

Yes I'm using ro/di water and Iv already looked into my salt mix and it doesn't have phosphates in it.

Nutrients lead to algae. Sounds like nitrate may be the culprit.

Describe your lights and light schedule for us

I have had 0 nitrates for weeks, I do weekly 5g water changes so that's 20%. My lights are 4x t5ho ati bulbs with an 8hr cycle.

Back
Top Bottom