Flakes? Pellets? Frozen? DIY Food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beej1254

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm wondering what you all feed your tank? I'm constantly switching between NLS Pellets and Saltwater flakes as well as frozen mysis/brine and Nori sheets. The fish seem to HATE these pellets and most won't touch them. They are also not sinking like they should be which results in tons of waste/dirty tank. I should also say that I'm trying to automate small feedings to my tank once a day with an Eheim automatic fish feeder and these pellets. Then later in the day when I'm home I'll feed them with something else. I'm almost to the point where I'm going to completely stop the pellets and flake food. All the pellets seem to do is dirty the water and not get eaten and I can't find the same flake food at my LFS anymore. Any thoughts and helpful tips are always greatly appreciated.

I don't feed flakes or pellets at all. I use gut loaded frozen foods and nori. Flakes and pellets have a ton of phosphates in them so I avoid at all costs.

Thanks for the response. After I run out of the pellets/flakes I won't be buying more. Can you recommend any good frozen brands?

Also how long would you leave Nori in the tank? My fish seem to enjoy having it but they also slowly graze on it rather then attacking it

I'm not a good choice on brands as I use the only brand available in my area. When the store changes, so do I like it or not.
When it comes to the nori, it doesn't last very long in my tank so the only removing it is when my various filtration systems are removing poop from the water column kicks in :)

I make my own food from food grade, supermarket fresh, fish and inverts. Cleaner than any frozen or pellet/flake, and smells better too. 15-20 bucks can make a lot of food.
I got some new additions that were only eating pellets in the previous tank, so I'm forced to feed them this as well, but I'm hoping to convert them also.

I've done a little reading on DIY food. Maybe I'll turn that into my next project. Thanks for the replies I'll definitely turn away from the pellets and flakes.

One thing I am a believer in is variety. I feed all the type you mentioned. Mr. X has a good recipe for a DIY food. I`ve seen it and for fish it is quite good and healthy.

Awesome. It sounds like that'll be all around the best choice and would be fun to experiment. Mr.X would you mind sharing your recipes? or do you have a link if you already have? A starting point for ideas would be great. I'll check out the DIYF forum too. And I guess I'll be returning this auto feeder haha

I started feeding a recipe I saw on YouTube

Sent from my ls990 using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437464041.086896.jpgmine seem to go for these, I'm trying to get rid of the rest of them and switch to the small fish formula, blood worms they go crazy for.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Been making my own food for 40 years. Cheap, easy and better. But when I'm lazy I may throw in some pellets. It's all good, the fish love variety.

I feed a good variety , flake , pellets , frozen mysiss , frozen clams , frozen mussels , chunks of broccoli floweretts , live mysiss , fresh cod , I also provide a good amount of macro's for them to snack on

great information everyone. I'm glad to have found out the supermarket close to my work sells fresh seafood so it'll be easy for me to make some DIY out of what they offer. I'm ready to get this started

I feed my fish new era flake every other day, other than that i feed my fish RS mysis,brine shrimp and DD reef paste, Hikari pellets, my clowns love theses.

My inverts eat nori and silver fish.

Bluesea Aquatics

I ended up making my first batch of DIY food. It turns out that my local markets don't have much of a selection so I went with fresh Catfish, shrimp, and scallops. At home I added Nori, garlic and an egg to the mix. I'll admit that before trying this I knew little of the nutritional values of my ingredients...which kind of defeats the purpose of trying this. Looking up everything my mix is pretty high in protein and has some decent vitamin values. I think for my next batch I'll be much more selective to get a broader range of nutritional values in my food.

The first test of my food I broke off a chunk and tossed it in my tank. My fish immediately reacted and started swarming the food. In the past 2 days and 2 feedings my fish have shown positive results and seem to really enjoy the new food offered.

Thanks everyone for the help!

I don't feed flakes or pellets at all. I use gut loaded frozen foods and nori. Flakes and pellets have a ton of phosphates in them so I avoid at all costs.

I agree entirely. I see flakes and pellets as processed foods and I avoid them

Back
Top Bottom