Flame Angel 20gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most angels need bigger tanks. Dwarf angels even. The minimum i've seen with ALL angels is 30g. Another thing to worry about if you put it in a smaller tank is that it has a higher chance of getting stress-induced illnesses. And then you have to worry about quarantining the fish, fixing him up.. and then wanting to put it back into the same tank where he got the illness in the first place. As for the whole coral thing, i dont know why you would even go the route of being "cautious" with a fish that is KNOWN to eat corals. What happens when it starts eating the corals.. do you return it? Or do you let it eat the corals and then have your tank become FOWLR. The decisions are delicate and in your best interest to choose one before the other, instead of trying to have both. My suggestion is, keep the angels in a 30g tank MINUMA, and keep them away from corals. Corals are expensive and theres no need to risk them being eaten.
Very well said, and good advice. I like that point that you have to make a choice, FOWLR or reef. The bigger the tank the more leeway you have for "With caution fish". In smaller tanks they have not much to do and tend to turn bad and do their thing of eating corals. Look at what and where your fish comes from...ie..does it hang out on the reef...chances are it also feeds there. Is it more open ocean, more likely to feed on plankton and less on corals, etc... Do your homework and don't just believe one site or person...This is where the fun is ;):rolleyes:

Very good advice TC and very true. Its always best to do research and see what other people have done. The only way for a person to fully comprehend what the consequences of something like this would be, and what the outcomes of it would be as well, would be to find other instances of something like this occuring. And yeah, researching is fun. I love it.

I agree, I wouldn't recommend any angel for a 20 gallon. Our half black is in a 3 ft. 50 gallon and IMO it's a great size for a dwarf angel. A 30 long would work but would be crowded I think. Angels are really active swimmers.

Yeah i was thinking of getting the flame angel since i have a 55g, but when it says caution with corals i was like nope lol.

Any of them are risky with corals. We just decided to chance it anyway. So far so good, but only time will tell. ;)

Ya, i have a 90g corner tank and i am still deciding whether to get a dwarf angel or not. I am scared it will munch on my corals when i get them.

Back
Top Bottom