Flame Angel 20gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LordErrorprone

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would i be able to keep a happy flame angel in 20 gal tank? ive seen alot of different answers.

Well, it would definitely do better in a 30g at the minimum, But still, im sure if there was enough swimming space, and the water quality was great, i think you could manage. But IMO, i would never do it. I think that the tank minimums are there for a reason. If you did ever do this, i would suggest you keep a sharp eye on the thing, and at any detection of stress, i would bring it back, or if you had a bigger tank, put him in that one.

i have never found a tank minimum thats like a rule, everywhere i look its a different number but this place seems to be the best for finding advice.

Well its because alot of people on here have ALOT of experiance. Anyways, you know that angels dont do well with corals right? They munch of corals.

Yeah so if you plan to have corals, i would really count the angel out. Ifits FOWLR, then again, you have the size tank to worry about.

All places I have checked out say a 30 gallon minimum. While that dont seem like much it is a 1/3 of a tank bigger.

About the angel munching on corals its kinda a hit or miss thing. Flame angels MIGHT munch on corals. It is kinda a hit or miss thing. You may get 1 that dosen't chew on corals or 1 that may not. If you look on websites it says things like with caution, or it may eat your coral. You just have to watch it to see if it does and also if you want to risk it.

Most angels need bigger tanks. Dwarf angels even. The minimum i've seen with ALL angels is 30g. Another thing to worry about if you put it in a smaller tank is that it has a higher chance of getting stress-induced illnesses. And then you have to worry about quarantining the fish, fixing him up.. and then wanting to put it back into the same tank where he got the illness in the first place. As for the whole coral thing, i dont know why you would even go the route of being "cautious" with a fish that is KNOWN to eat corals. What happens when it starts eating the corals.. do you return it? Or do you let it eat the corals and then have your tank become FOWLR. The decisions are delicate and in your best interest to choose one before the other, instead of trying to have both. My suggestion is, keep the angels in a 30g tank MINUMA, and keep them away from corals. Corals are expensive and theres no need to risk them being eaten.

No. Definitely Not. Tangs need a minimum of 70g tanks, AT THE VERY LEAST. And the same goes for butterfly fish. They also need large tanks. These fish you have considered would be under great stress. And IMO, i would say the ones you just suggested would be worse-off in a 20g tank then the angel. Not to mention that butterflyfish are NOT reef compatible and WILL eat your corals.

It always comes back to live aquaria at this forum. lol

Ya, you are not going to be able to do much on anything in a 20g when it comes to angels of any sizes and NO tangs what so ever.

live aquaria's just such an easy way to gauge what you're looking at. If you google, you have to be specific. Live aquaria's a nice jumping off point.

Back
Top Bottom