Flame Angel ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JsQuid

Aquarium Advice Freak
Good evening you all, I was curious as to you alls thoughts on adding a flame angel to a 40 breeder. This tank also has a 20 gallon sump and is only 3 months old. It's currents occupants are a royal gamma & a pair of Picasso Clowns. There is roughly 41lbs of live rock in the display tank. 2 inch sand bed. It is a developing reef tank and I'm aware of their cautionary compatibility. Just wondering of your thoughts and past experiences? Thanks !

I would not put any Dwarf Angel in a 40g. Maybe a Pygmy like a Flameback or Cherub. Dwarfs can be territorial and a 40g probably seems like just about what it would want. Put it in with other fish that tend to hang out in one spot (clowns) and there could be trouble.

Really? That's horrible news. Even with just 4 fish to share the tank with?

I had one (actually it was an old girlfriend's) in a 300 FOWLR and it thought the whole left 1/3 of the tank was its turf. Any of the other fish went there and it was after them. I've had other dwarfs in my tanks over the years and I've had the best luck when they were in a 75g or larger. Others have probably had other experiences. I'm not saying don't do it, but just be aware that a lot of the outcome will be based on the personality of the Flame you get, IMO.

Both of the flames i had in my 125 (not at the same time) were completely docile. I however suggest you make sure they are on a high quality algae-based diet. Ive lost 2 flames randomly and prob will never try them again

Yeah I'm sure most of them are entitled to their own personalities! The specific one I'm looking at is in about a 40-50 gallon aquarium, established but it has corals and what not. He is active but doesn't swim too much. That's why I was considering him, what as far as diet? What type of algae? Like diatom type or actually "green" algae? Do they eat Mysis shrimp or not a preference?

ocean nutrition makes an angel preparation that they sell in most LFS. id say that is a must, then anything else you might want. variety is a good thing in terms of feeding.

I've had my flame for about 8 months, it eats mysis shrimp and I feed algae strips about 3 times a week. Never had an issue with it. Mine swims all over the tank (90 gal) and will chase from time to time but is mostly docile and content. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom